Oscar’s And Angel Fish’s?

Violet182
Hey guys,

I have a 350L tank that houses
-2 bristlenose catfishes,
-two adult angelfish around 14cm from top to bottom (if someone could let me know how to measure angelfish that would be great )
-and a 10cm angel fish

I recently got a Oscar who’s about 4cm long, he’s in his own 275L tank for now but I was wondering if I could put him in the angel tank? I know it’s risky and angels are quite delicate but they’re quite larger then the Oscar and are VERY aggressive against each other (I had 4 and 1 went missing one day and the other 3 never ended up pairing)

The tanks pretty big and has heaps of hides and I was thinking while the angels have their own territory it could potentially work?

Let me know what you guys think and I’d love to hear some Oscar/ angelfish stories

david1978
I wouldn't. Once every one grows up you would be way overstocked. My oscar killed all his tank mates including a 12" pleco once he grew up.

Violet182
I’m pretty confident over stocking won’t be the issue.

More concerned about the aggression that could potentially occur

david1978
You do realize how big an oscar gets. Hes in what is considered bare minimum now and the other tank isn't much bigger.

Violet182
Yeah I’m aware of how big his tank is, it could house two of them, my family has been breading Oscars since my grandad was a teenager. I’ve done my research and compared with other Oscar tanks and mine is very large compared to what is recommended.

You might be getting confused cause I go by litres instead of gallons.

Next you’re gonna tell me my 40L tank is too small for my Betta?

Claire Bear
I would leave him in his own tank. My guy was very mild mannered so I decided to get some silver dollar to add (huge tank). Added after having him in the tank for a couple or three years! Anyway, dead in a day! Not sure if it would have mattered if I would have temporarily moved him but I did rearrange the tank.

david1978
Nope not confused it takes 2 seconds on google to convert. The big tank is 92 gallons and the oscar tank is 72 gallons. Every reliable site recommends a 75 gallon for one. So its neither here nor there. Mine killed another oscar, a pacu and a large pleco so I could only imagine what would happen to an angelfish.

Violet182
I would leave him in his own tank. My guy was very mild mannered so I decided to get some silver dollar to add (huge tank). Added after having him in the tank for a couple or three years! Anyway, dead in a day! Not sure if it would have mattered if I would have temporarily moved him but I did rearrange the tank.

Awh no I had a similar experience with my jack dempsey ! I’m honestly just gonna experiment a few different things with this little guy, I put in 2 neon tetras that I was going to feed to my axolotls but I had accidentally ripped their tails off and couldn’t get a good hold of them with the tweezers, I figured he would have had a bit of a pick on them but 4 weeks later nothing! Doesn’t even seem to notice they’re in there with him I do have to admit he’s not as aggressive at all compared to my other oscars

Violet182
Nope not confused it takes 2 seconds on google to convert. The big tank is 92 gallons and the oscar tank is 72 gallons. Every reliable site recommends a 75 gallon for one. So its neither here nor there. Mine killed another oscar, a pacu and a large pleco so I could only imagine what would happen to an angelfish.

Well he’s now in with the angels! And if you guys are interested I’ve been keeping an eye on them with my petcam for the past 3 hours, I rewinded to about an hour ago as the oscar looked a little raggy and seen two of the angels gang up on him! He flicked them off and tried hide and had been since. When I came back to the tank he just came up to me as per usual like nothing had happened!
Gonna keep him in the tank for another couple of hours and see if this happens again, like I said he’s not as aggressive as other oscars I’ve seen and these angels have been separated from my others for being to aggressive, I was kinda hoping he’d teach them a lesson!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Question
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Aquarium Saturation
Replies