Oscar?

1. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Hello, I currently have a 40 gallon tank which is heavily planted. I'm trying to have a tank meant more for chiclids but thought a oscar would be a good mix to keep it from getting boring in the tank. I currently have 2 peacock chiclids, 2 african chiclids, 2 jack dempseys, 1 large bamboo shrimp, 1 algea eater, and 8 tiger barbs. All of these are very small 2-4 inches. I heard they like different ph for the tank so I've been working to balance it for the best of them. Can all these fish stay in the tank without overstocking? (For another 3 years till I get a 100 gallon tank) thanks for advice :)

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

There's no way those fish will make it another 3 years in a 40 gallon, especially adding an Oscar.

Good Luck :)

3. Parker Corso Initiate Member

I talked to my dad, and he said it may be possible to get it in a year. I'm saving money and am only $175 bucks away from the money I need. So can they last one year if I get the smallest oscar possible?

4. FiscCyning Member Member

I would not add another fish to this tank. The best thing would be to wait until you have the larger tank before getting the oscar. If you have the oscar already I would check with the store to see if you can return it.

Once you have the 100 gallon, are you planning to move the cichlids over and keep the 40 for the barbs, shrimp, and algae eater?

5. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, your Oscar will grow very large very quickly or perhaps be stunted. I have had mine since late Nov. early Dec and it is roughly somewhere between 9 and 10 inches.
    A 40g is maybe big enough for a growout tank of fry from an Oscar but not a juvenile Oscar which is the size you are describing.
    You identified 16 fish and a shrimp.
    Tiger barbs usually grow between 2 and 3 inches (closer to 3), the JD's will get huge and they wont work in that tank.
    A common pleco gets to be a foot or so.
    Lastly, depending on the type of African Cichlid and peacocks, they could reach 6 inches in length.
    So, given you have 16 fish-let's say they "average" 3 inches each (and Oscars produce massive amounts of waste) then you are already looking at 48 inches of fish.
    That would be if we used the once accepted 1 inch per gallon-most realize there is much more to it then just an inch of fish = one gallon.
    I would encourage you to try and give away the Oscar and the Pleco to someone that has at least a 75g tank.

6. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Ok, I'll hold off on the oscar :) any advice for what to take the oscars place? Looking for something very active and not to small or to big. Thanks for all the support :)

7. FiscCyning Member Member

Good call waiting to get the oscar. :)

Your tank doesn't really have room for any new fish. Adding more fish would make it quite overstocked and could cause problems with water quality and aggression.

8. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Would getting rid of the algea eater give some space? I had a later thread and received comments I wasn't overstocked yet. ( with a oscar I am obviously but that's not happening ) What takes most in the room in my tank? And to say if I free up space or aren't full and recommendation for a fish?

9. FiscCyning Member Member

You'd be surprised how fast fish grow! Even though you don't seem overstocked right now, you have large species in your tank and once they grow a little you will unfortunately be overstocked. We also have to take into account fish temperament, and you have a lot of aggressive and territorial fish in your tank so they need a bit extra room to keep things peaceful.

I'm not sure getting rid of the algae eater will help much unless he is sparking aggression issues. He inhabits a different region of the tank than free-swimming fish like cichlids, so removing him wouldn't really free up room for anything other than a different algae eater. The main reason you might want to rehome the algae eater is just because Chinese algae eaters have been known to "attack" other fish by latching onto their sides.

10. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Ok, thx for the advice im just gonna wait a little while to do more :) at petco they have these very small orange chiclids. I'll have to research the name. But I'll watch for the next 3-5 months before adding stuff :) thanks again

11. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Parker, even without the Oscar, your stocking is going to be an issue.
    You said you knew that the water was different for different fish.
    The mbuna like 8.2 ph plus
    The JD will usually get to about 8 inches (I have one) and is somewhat slower grower than the Oscar. I bought mine around the same time and they are now housed together. JD's can get aggressive. If yours pairs up-you will need to move everything out especially in a too small tank.
    To help with aggression, a lower temp then their natural will help but not too low!
    African cichlids like it warm and hard water is best, luckily the JD like hard water but lower ph.
    Your Tiger Barbs will become food for the JD's at some point. In fact the JD's may take out all their tank mates. This is not being a bad fish, it is nature.
    You mention getting rid of the algae eater, I would encourage you to do this as of right now, your tank could be in trouble due to overstocking.
    Even though the tank looks a little empty, in just a few short weeks it will look crowded.
    Good luck and read some of the fish profiles on this site. At the top right, enter a question or fish name and do a search.

12. Parker Corso Initiate Member

If it was just the shrimp algea eater and all the chiclids would it be still to packed? I can move the tiger barbs if I need too :)

13. Crissandra331 Member Member

The Cichlids are your problems because most of the Cichlids you chose are very territorial require different environments, and are going to grow rapidly..

I would all together get rid of your Jack Dempsey's