Oscar won't eat help

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I have 3 oscars and 2 of them won't eat
I have two smaller black ones and a large white one named meatloaf
At first one of the smaller black ones stopped eating and then meatloaf stopped eating yesterday
I tested my water conditions and everything is fine ph is neutral nitrite and nitrate is low as well as ammonia
Do u think a water change may help I do them every weekend

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What do you mean when you say ammonia and nitrite are "low" Does that mean you do have ammonia and nitrite in your tank? Even a "low" reading is not good. You need those to be ZERO.

How long have you had each of these Oscars? What size is their tank?

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A little more information please.

What size tank is this?
What are your exact numbers for parameters?
You should have zero nitrite and ammonia not just "low"

What kind of test are you using to test the water?
When do you normally do water changes?

I would probably start by doing a water change to see if that helps.

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is nitrate at zero too? Have you ever seen nitrate while cycling this tank?
Also what do you feed the Oscars and do they have any other symptoms?

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes it is and no I never saw it when cycling the tank
I feed them jumbomin
The white one was lethargic the other day but he's fine now the fish that won't eat are still active swimming around

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you never saw nitrates while cycling you may not be cycled, which could be an issue. You should have 20 or less PPm of nitrates. The rest should be zero when you are cycled.

What is jumbomin? I have never heard of it lol.

I would for sure do that water change then.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Taritus said:
They are zero I just assumed it was impossible to have exactly zero
The tank is 120g
App master liquid test kit
I do water changes every weekend
If you were using the API test kit, there is no assuming. The chart has "zero" on it, and if your color matches that, it is zero. If it does NOT match that color exactly, then you DO have ammonia or nitrites in your tank. Does this mean your results have never been zero before? Since you are assuming it isn't possible to have zero? When was the last time you actually did a test?

I still need an answer to my question, how long have you had each of these Oscars?

Sorry they aren't doing well. I hope you can figure out the problem.

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's cycled they've been in theyr for 5 months and when I set the tank up I let it run for 2 wks
No my results have always been zero before I just assumed it meant around zero as having something exactly zero just seemed odd
I test every their day, I tested this morning and the test before hay was Monday Night
I've had the white one for 6 months and the black ones for 3-4 months

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did you use an ammonia source while letting the tank run for two weeks?

Is this the API liquid test or the strips?

When cycling what happens is your ammonia goes up, starts to go down, then you get nitrite which spike, then nitrates. At the end you should have zero ammonia, and nitrities then 20 or less nitrates.

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by first question
Api liquid
When it was cycling theyr were times I didn't test it because I was out of town I had left it run a few weeks and tested didn't see any nitrates so thought it was good

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In order to cycle a tank you have to have an ammonia source to feed the bacteria to produce nitrites and later nitrates such as fish (their poop becomes ammonia source), pure ammonia, or some use fish food.

You need to see nitrates while cycling, zero nitrates isn't good. Did you simply leave the tank running during that two weeks doing nothing to cycle it?

What I am thinking is that either you never cycled, or you are doing a mini cycle right now which is stressing out your fish.

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it mattered but the way I got the tank it came with a filter and we kept the media wet as well as brought 1/4 of the original tank water with it
I added some water from my 36 g and goldfish is what I was told

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Then it becomes a question of was the tank cycled by the previous owner. Other thing is did the previous owner have diseases in their tank, which could of transferred over to your fish too since it sounds like you didn't sterilize the tank before using it.

Water doesn't have enough bacteria in it to instant cycle a tank, it's all in the filter media.

Now the goldfish yes could of been an ammonia source.

You could try to get your fish to eat with some food soaked in garlic guard, or garlic juice too. They tend to really like garlic.

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
The previous owner was vary knowledgable and I believe he probably cycled it his tanks he has now are immaculate
I wiped down what I could get to but he assured me it was all I needed to do
Yea I had some gold fish still have one of them actually

The white Oscar also been hanging around heater which is odd because the tank reads at 78‘F

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure what else to tell you except what I have already suggested with garlic guard, and water change. Hopefully someone else will come along and come up with something too.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As you probably know, fish produce ammonia. In a cycled tank that ammonia gets converted into nitrites by a bacteria that lives in your filter media. That nitrite then gets converted into nitrates by a second bacteria that lives in your filter media.

So normally, in a cycled tank you will have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and some nitrates. And because there is constant ammonia production you end up with a constant nitrate build up. Since nitrates can be harmful at higher levels, partial weekly water changes are required to keep nitrates under 20ppm (prefered) or 40ppm (maximum).

Since you are reading zeros across the board, there is potentially a problem somewhere. Make sure you are performing your tests correctly (read the instructions). Make sure you really, really shake and pound the nitrate test solution bottle #2. It contains crystals suspened in liquid. These crystals tend to clump up in the bottom of the bottle and if not properly mixed, will lead to a false reading (like possibly a false zero)

Also check to make sure your test kit has not expired. There should be an expiration date printed on the bottle. Expired reagents can give false results.

If you are testing correctly and your test kit is not expired, and your reading 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite, I wouldn't worry about the nitrates being zero But I would test regularly to make sure you don't end up with an ammonia or nitrite spike (which would indicate that you are not cycled)

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a cycling issue anymore however I recently noticed my Oscar is camped out at a flower pot and chases anyone of who goes near it which is odd meatloaf is usually very friendly
Is it possible for my Oscar to be breeding she's prob about 8-9 inches long
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1481154827.784836.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom