Important Oscar With Severe Bloat.. Egg Bound Or Something Else??

LizzyCupcake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have had two Oscars for 2 years now. I recently moved them to a 110 gallon. They are a breeding pair and have one spawn (which I still have fry from). Since I moved them, I had noticed that the girl was a little bit fatter in her adominal area. I just assumed that she was egg bound because it was so small of a bump.

I came home today and realized that the bump was so much bigger then the last time I looked. It looks really bad and I'm really concerned that she might die. Her swiming is irregular and she looks like she is in pain. I turned off the filter and she went right up to the top with her dorsal fin surfacing slightly above the water's surface. I checked the quality of the water and it is perfect. The other Oscar is acting normal and is showing no signs of distress.

I turned the filter back on. From my research it seems maybe she held in her eggs in too long due to stress from moving tanks and developed an infection. I don't think it is bloat because she has always had the same diet: HikarI pellets and occassionally earthworms, meal worms, crickets, feeders, and ghost srimp. I only give her these types of treats once a week.

She does seem to respond to somewhat when I come up to the tank, but she refused to eat even one pellet. Now, she is hanging near the bottom with a slight tilt but not flat.

Any ideas or help are greatly appreciated. I have included pics.

Attachments

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there a chance that she has swallowed something?

OP
LizzyCupcake

LizzyCupcake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think so. But if she did happen to swallow something, is there anything I can do?

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LizzyCupcake said:
I don't think so. But if she did happen to swallow something, is there anything I can do?
There isn’t unfortunately. But if it’s something else there’s a chance an Epsom salt bath might work

OP
LizzyCupcake

LizzyCupcake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think an Epson Salt bath will work because I'm afraid the trauma might kill her. I know that might be my only option if I do anything at all. If I were to try this, what do I do about the other Oscar. Moving them to this 110 gallon tank was very tramatic and I would not want to kill her from stress if I could move her to a solitary tank. On top of that, I really do not think I have the tank to do it. What about a 20 gallon for the epsom salt?

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re-reading your post I think you’re right, an Epsom salt bath could well be a bad thing, There’s not much else you can do when fish get internal lumps like this. They can be tumours, infections, blockages... you could take a gamble and try a treatment but there might be nothing you can do...

New Threads