Oscar with RTBS 75 Gallon Tank 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Would an Oscar and a RTBS work in a 75gal.? could I add a severum or something?

fishfanatic123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
for a full Oscar it is advised to have 75plus gallon tank so yours should be fine. you may be able to squeeze an RTBS in there to. But they could get violent if have not got the appropriate space
so it is best to leave it with one oscar only im afraid.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've read story upon story of oscars eating some very strange things, such as plecos, pictus catfish, "long" tetras, so I would have to say it would be risky.

The oscar would be fine at first, but once he hit 10+" (within a year), there's a good chance he would try, and possibly succeed, to eat the RTBS. The shark has an "easy" shape to swallow.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Expensive snack for your Oscar fish. No one can say for sure, maybe yours adapt to its presence since young and let the Red Tail Black Shark be. Hit or miss with higher probabilities of miss in my opinion.

The bioload of the RTBS is quite small so you cuold probably "squeeze" it there, as fishfanatic123 says but forget about a fish as Severum. Literally too much bioload for such small volume of water and too little space for both.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you!

I kinda like the RTBS better than the oscar so I think I will just drop the oscar from the plan. What would be some good tank mates for the RTBS? Would the severum work in the tank if I didn't have the oscar? Some others I was thinking were Firemouth, pictus cats, silver dollars and jack dempsey. Any other suggestions?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can keep RTBS with severums, JD's, firemouths, pretty much any larger fish that won't be bullied or eaten.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bolivianbaby said:
You can keep RTBS with severums, JD's, firemouths, pretty much any larger fish that won't be bullied or eaten.
Pictus as well right?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

fishfanatic123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive got a small red tail with neons,rummynose,bolivian rams and a dwarf gourami so they do go with most fish but when they get bigger can be aggressive. To be honest all fish have different personalities like in my 26 litre tank i have 5 neons and a male betta it would normally be trouble from the betta bullying the neons but the neons were bullying the betta to the point where i had to take the betta back to the shop!! anyway red tails are normally just fierce chasers...alot more bark than bit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom