Oscar with one bulging eye!!

1. norcal Initiate Member

I have a 4 inch albino veil tail oscar yesterday i noticed one of his eyes is really bulging!! it looks as if its going to explode and he seems lifeless. Ive been medicating the tank with melafix on recommendation from a fish store. Any ideas as to how to help my fish??

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore
    I'm sorry your fish is ill.
    Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
    It sounds like it could be pop-eye, usually cause by poor water conditions, sometimes bacterial.
    Which tank is he in? Any tank mates? If so, what kind?

3. norcal Initiate Member

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.1, Nitrate 10. He is currently in a 80 gallon with another oscar a 8 inch veil tail and a 5 inch albino red oscar

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know that much about Oscars, so as far as how many should be together and whether agression or stess might be involved, someone else will have to comment about that.
    This might be obvious, but what's a veil tail?

According to your readings either your tank isn't cycled is for some reason (oscars have a pretty big bioload) you're in a mini cycle.
    It would be a good idea to do some daily water changes until the tank is cycled.
    Improving the water conditions should help.
    Adding some extra stress coat and vita-chem would help also.

Other members have more experience with Oscars so I'm sure they'll chime in.

Best of luck.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww poor lil guy....its either from the tank not being cycled, bullying, or he could have injured himself on something in the tank...oscars dont do well with driftwood or hard objects as decorations....no matter what has done it, changing out water daily with e some prime, will help the tank get cycled, and heal his eye....as far as bullying, thats something you will have to decide as 80g isnt big enough for 3 oscars..

6. norcal Initiate Member

I know that 80g isnt big enough for 3 full grown oscars but i have another 100g that im nursing a pacu back to health and finding him a new home. I figure the 80g is big enough for these 3 right now as they arent full grown yet. There isnt any bullying goin on they all get along well. Im going to do water changes daily and see if the melafix works

Well this morning i noticed that his eye was not bulging anymore , so i take a closer look and he now has no eye and there is a huge hole where his eye was and i can see inside his head, what should i do??? he seems very lifeless and one side of his body is missing a huge amount of scales

:animal0068:Good morning. I've merged your posts to save some space.
    Thanks!
    Ken

7. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

pictures would be helpful, but right now the best thing you can do until you're sure what's wrong is to keep the water extremely clean. i'd go ahead and do a water change to make sure it doesn't get worse.

this is a site that i really like for oscar info that may help you out http://www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-health

8. norcal Initiate Member

Well sad to say my oscar has died. I would still like to know y he died so if anyone has any thoughts please comment

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry you lost him.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry. :(

You want theries on what happened... I don't know much about eyes disappearing from a fish's head, but I do think that the nitrite presence, indicating a cycling tank, couldn't have been good for him. Poor thing. :(

11. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

so sorry to hear that :(

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like the your tank isn't cycled and there is some bullying going on.
    Ken

13. duckyluv Member Member

That's sad for you and your fish.....I know the heart ache. Mine had cloudy eye that I cured with Melafix and Pimafix and cloudy eye was due to lack of oxygen in the tank and poor water conditions. I ended up getting a pond pump for my goldfish tank to aerate and filter a little better and so far everything is back to "normal." Whatever normal is cause I've been going nuts with one thing after another here with my fish. So glad I'm not alone with everyone on this site. It may have been Popeye but i'm far from the expert here....good luck....