Oscar Very Sick

1. Rachel P

Rachel P New Member Member

Hi all,
    My first post here, though I've browsed a lot.

My husband and I have a 100gal tank of African Cichlids.

We have a Dempsey, Red Devil, Blackbelt, Green Terror, Parrot and Oscar.

I know quite a mix, but the tank has done well. All of them are 6-8 inches currently.

The Parrot and Oscar were introduced two weeks and while the Parrot did well (and continues to), the Oscar was horribly attacked overnight. (All seemed well before bed).

In the morning I quickly fished him out (see first pic) and put him in a small 20 gal "hospital tank" alone and began treating him with Melafix to promote healing. As you can see he was badly injured.

To my surprise he did well for the few days and appeared to begin healing. (I thought he was a goner).

Well - then we had to leave town. No biggie. We have autofeeders / lighting, etc.

Except I just got home to this. (See 2nd picture). He's black. Laying on the bottom mostly. And shockingly alive. Honestly I'm amazed he is.....

But I've never seen this before.

The 100 gallon is totally fine btw.

Already did a 50% water change, the water was horrible and dirty. Didn't seem to eat almost at all, even though he was when we left.

Thoughts? Advice? Help?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Can you send pictures I can't see any pics.

3. OP
    OP
    Rachel P

Not having any luck uploading photos.

But first pic showed wounds and his original color. Which was bright orange with black markings. Large wounds on his side.

Second pic shows him solid black. Black midnight black. Laying on the bottom.

4. Kenny777

Talk to @tyguy7760 he will know

5. OP
    OP
    Rachel P

Finally got it to work. Here you go and sorry. Newb to forum.

Side note: no idea why the injured picture looks so green. The water wasn't green at that time.

Attached Files:

6. Kenny777

Okay thank you, don't worry you will get familiar to the forum and Welcome to fishlore by the way! I'm not totally sure like I said before @tyguy7760 would know

7. OP
    OP
    Rachel P

image1.JPG This is when I first got him - healthy.

If I can save him I'd love to. He was beautiful.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If he's in a 20 gallon hospital tank, you need to be doing daily if not twice a day water changes. Oscars are incredible waste producers but if he's in a high nitrate environment his wounds won't heal. I have no issue with the treatment though

9. OP
    OP
    Rachel P

IMG_4049.JPG
    Ohh! Thank you for that feedback!

So far he seems to be improving. He's started eating again and while he spends a lot of the day resting on the bottom he swims to the top and around a bit at feeding time.

I'll definitely increase the water changes though. Initially I was doing twice daily but I haven't since I started the parasite treatment. (Parasite treatment since I think the white spot on both sides is possibly "hole in the head" disease)

I also added a bubble wand and that seems to have helped him breathe easier.

Attached an updated pic. A tiny bit of his orange has started to come through and his eyes look better.

Any ideas on what the solid coating of black could've been?

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not a fish disease expert so I can't help there. I fortunately have not had to deal with a lot of sicknesses.