Oscar Very Jittery And Acting Funny

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by adambaksh, Jun 9, 2019.

1. adambaksh

adambakshNew MemberMember

i currently have an oscar in a 20 gallon tank for now while i get a 50 gallon set up for just him and only him. ever since i have put in an aquarium hood and LED lights my oscar has been acting funny. he will attack the glass, some things will set him off and he will start swimming fast into the glass and last night he lost about 6 or 7 scales on the top of his head. i have plastic plants along with java fern and java moss in the tank with him. the only solution i can think of is to upgrade him as soon as possible, is there anything else i would be able to do?

2. BillCNC

BillCNCValued MemberMember

Perhaps he's feeling cramped in that 20, ... how big is he and is it a 20L?

Regards
    Bill

3. OP
    OP
    adambaksh

he’s about 3 inches and it’s a 20 gallon, not 20 Liter

4. BillCNC

20L is a 20gal. LONG tank. An Oscar doesn't need a tall tank, ... just a long or wide one. A 20L is shorter but longer than a regular 20gal. tank.

Is he alone?
    Was there a light on the tank before the cover was added?

You could try and turn the light off for a couple of day's and see if there is any change.

Oscar's are not fond of change. Heck some pout for day's just over a water change so changes are to be done in small increment's, at least that's been my experience with Oscar's.

Regards
    Bill

5. OP
    OP
    adambaksh

it is a 20 long tank, sorry for the misunderstanding. he is by himself
    i added the cover and light at the same time.
    i will try to see if turning off the light or dimming it will help him

thanks,
    adam

6. OP
    OP
    adambaksh

UPDATE:
    I turned the lights off and i come back after today and he has lost more scales. he also is not eating well, by that i mean he will eat the food and spit it back out, and continuously try to eat it but he can’t.

7. BillCNC

8. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Is the 20 gallon tank cycled? It won't take long for things to go south in a hurry when you combine an oscar (notorious waste producers) and only 20 gallons of water.

9. JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlakeValued MemberMember

I see you mentioned that he lost scales from the top of his head, could it possibly be HITH since it is common in Oscars?
    How often are you doing water changes and what percent of water are you changing each time?
    Do you have activated carbon in your filter? (It's believed this can play a role in HITH with Oscars).

10. OP
    OP
    adambaksh

bill,
    thank you for the help and advice, i have taken out my light and took off the aquarium hood and he seems to be very happy and acting normal again. thanks again for the help

11. BillCNC

Is it a black plastic hood?

If so he probably feel's trapped. Try to get a glass top, that way he can see out yet your keeping the evaporation and heat loss down. Also, he may jump out.

Regards
    Bill

12. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

That part of your problem was easy to solve. My guess is that the combination of the hood and the light was causing him to see his reflection, thus attacking the glass. But he needs to get used to it, because oscars can jump. I had one that would come half way out of the water when I would feed him live crickets.