Oscar Tank

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm starting an Oscar tank. I picked up a baby last night. I'm starting him in my 55 where he's beginning to grow out, and be socialized (I heard that's important with these guys). I'm moving in a month or so, when I'll be upgrading and giving him his own tank. I'll be tracking his growth and his upgrade here, and possibly seeking some guidance along the way.
IMG_20190914_215757029.jpg

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He’s gorgeous!

What size tank will you set up for him? They do get huge!

Also any pictures of his whole current set up?

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He’s gorgeous!

What size tank will you set up for him? They do get huge!

Also any pictures of his whole current set up?
Thanks! Yes, I know they get huge, and I'm getting pretty equal results saying a 75 will work, and a 75 is too small, so I'm going to have to play it by ear. But, a 75 is my plan. Hopefully that works out for me, but if not, I'll switch my community (100 gallon) over to the 75 (minus a few cichlids, provided they'll work with the Oscar) and put this guy in the 100 and make that my cichlid tank. Either way, I should have a bit of time before I have to make that decision.

No pics of his current setup, but he's in a 55 with a Severum, Rainbow Shark, some assorted Rainbowfish and a couple of small Plecos. The plan is to put some of them in the 100 and to rehome some.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks! Yes, I know they get huge, and I'm getting pretty equal results saying a 75 will work, and a 75 is too small, so I'm going to have to play it by ear. But, a 75 is my plan. Hopefully that works out for me, but if not, I'll switch my community (100 gallon) over to the 75 (minus a few cichlids, provided they'll work with the Oscar) and put this guy in the 100 and make that my cichlid tank. Either way, I should have a bit of time before I have to make that decision.

No pics of his current setup, but he's in a 55 with a Severum, Rainbow Shark, some assorted Rainbowfish and a couple of small Plecos. The plan is to put some of them in the 100 and to rehome some.
First order of business, I need a name for the little guy! I don't usually name my fish, but this guy is no ordinary fish. I have three possibilities so far, and I'm looking for opinions, and suggestions for other possibilities. I'm particularly interested in gender neutral possibilities since Oscars seem very difficult to sex from what I've read. Possibilities so far: Gus, Waldo, Angus.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like gus!

And a 75 would be minimum for a full grown Oscar if you’d ask me and that’s by them self’s. The are big and messy! Also don’t be fooled they do grow fast. It will probably be reaching 12 inches within 2 years time.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I like gus!

And a 75 would be minimum for a full grown Oscar if you’d ask me and that’s by them self’s. The are big and messy! Also don’t be fooled they do grow fast. It will probably be reaching 12 inches within 2 years time.
Thanks! I'm not fooled; I definitely know they grow fast. I'm prepared to get him a new tank soon (I'm moving in the next month or so, and I'll be upgrading the tank at that point). I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, and weigh the options before I commit to a particular tank. Like I said, though, I do have options given my other tank, too. Especially since I'm considering trying to keep him with my Rainbow Shark and Featherfin Catfish (currently in my 100), at least for as long as it will work.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
While I wait for other name suggestions/votes to come in, I want to ask about filtration. I know the popular opinion would be to use a canister. However, my 100 gallon has a canister, so if the Oscar someday moves into that tank, he'll have a canister, but I'm not planning to buy another. I have an Aquaclear 70 already that I want to use. I'm looking for suggestions of what to use with it. I'm thinking I'll most likely use a second Aquaclear, and I'm wondering if another 70 would be good, or if a 110 would be needed. I'm sure anything smaller really wouldn't be a good option. Thanks again!

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have absolutely no idea why, but when I looked at him the name Leopold came into my head. He's grand looking! Good luck.

toomanyfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
While I wait for other name suggestions/votes to come in, I want to ask about filtration. I know the popular opinion would be to use a canister. However, my 100 gallon has a canister, so if the Oscar someday moves into that tank, he'll have a canister, but I'm not planning to buy another. I have an Aquaclear 70 already that I want to use. I'm looking for suggestions of what to use with it. I'm thinking I'll most likely use a second Aquaclear, and I'm wondering if another 70 would be good, or if a 110 would be needed. I'm sure anything smaller really wouldn't be a good option. Thanks again!
I'd use 2 aquaclear 110s

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, thanks. I know two 70's would give me 10x turnover per hour, so I thought that'd be good. Glad I asked in that case.
Oops! I recalculated, and realized my initial calculation was incorrect. Two 70's would give me 8x per hour, and one 70 and one 110 would give me 10.6x per hour. I've repeatedly heard that 8-10x is good. But, that seemed to be a general "rule". I'm not sure if this differs for Oscars since they're known to be messy fish.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom