Oscar tank size

• Thread starter Mii
  • Start date

Mii

what size tank do you need to comfortably house a single oscar?

aquachris

As large as you can afford with absolute minimum being 55 but a 75 is much better.

Mii

Drasi said:
As large as you can afford with absolute minimum being 55 but a 75 is much better.
I know the bigger the better but i simply can't afford very big, so i know it can live in a 55, but, could i keep it happy in a 55? I'd really like an Oscar but if i can't afford to keep it happy i won't keep it at all. Do you think a 55 is ok?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
I wouldn't do a 55 in the long term. It's too small, once the oscar grows, he will be longer than the tank is wide.

aquachris

Mii said:
I know the bigger the better but i simply can't afford very big, so i know it can live in a 55, but, could i keep it happy in a 55? I'd really like an Oscar but if i can't afford to keep it happy i won't keep it at all. Do you think a 55 is ok?
I would plan 75 honestly. Look on craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Sometimes you can get them cheap.

Gh05t

55s are a very narrow situation for a large heavy fish...honestly(I may get beef for this) I would rather see an Oscar in a 40B rather than a 55G so commonly suggested. Yes it is less water volume...but the 40B has more surface area thus more area for the fish to move and turn. Is a 40B an ideal situation? No...but a 40B could buy you some time until you could afford the 75G. 40Bs are pretty dirt cheap to be fair many chains have them on the $1 per gallon sale and the 36x18 shelving unit from lowes makes a fine stand for a pair of them.

Anyway...for an Oscar a 75G is a minimum for life for it to be comfortable this is because many domestic Os grow to 14"+...a 55G is 12" wide thats a lot of thick heavy body to turn in a space smaller than the fish.

aquachris

Gh05t said:
Anyway...for an Oscar a 75G is a minimum for life for it to be comfortable this is because many domestic Os grow to 14"+...a 55G is 12" wide thats a lot of thick heavy body to turn in a space smaller than the fish.
Yeah, this would be ideal - you want them to comfortably turn around without brushing their face or tail on the tank. If you could find a 55g at 18" wide and maybe shorter, or less length, that would be okay, but I have never seen one.

Mii

Can i put a Green Terror in a 55g since they only get like 8-10 inches?

Gh05t

Yeah green terror would be fine...they actually tend to max out at 8-9" in most cases for a male, females tend to be a bit smaller...you can even have some tankmates with it.

odinsfury

I'm looking into getting an Oscar and I stumbled upon this. From the videos I've seen I wouldn't keep one in smaller than 75 gallons.

I just wanted to say that I hate when 55 is quoted as the minimum for a lot of things, I just think the 55 is overrated, especially for bigger fish. I understand the value of a 4 foot tank, but I really hate that 12 inches of depth.

The 40b is a much better tank with more surface area than a 55. Also, a 40b is actually 45 gallons and a 55 is 52.5 gallons. So as someone said above, I'd rather see an Oscar in a 40b than a 55.

aquachris

odinsfury said:
I'm looking into getting an Oscar and I stumbled upon this. From the videos I've seen I wouldn't keep one in smaller than 75 gallons.

I just wanted to say that I hate when 55 is quoted as the minimum for a lot of things, I just think the 55 is overrated, especially for bigger fish. I understand the value of a 4 foot tank, but I really hate that 12 inches of depth.

The 40b is a much better tank with more surface area than a 55. Also, a 40b is actually 45 gallons and a 55 is 52.5 gallons. So as someone said above, I'd rather see an Oscar in a 40b than a 55.
Your point is valid on the 40b if it came down to push/shove, 40b over 55 for the ability to turn around maybe for grow out (even with grow out, they should be transitioned to a 75 before they get that big)? Oscars get tall as well as long... 75 I just believe is absolute minimum for 1 just due to their size (I've had a full sized 14" one before - and 75 was barely enough really).

Top Bottom