Oscar Tank Mates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Matty6477, Apr 19, 2017.

1. M

Matty6477 Valued Member Member

I have recently purchased a custom made 100 gallon tank with measurements of
    48"L x 24"H x 20"D
    One fish I definitely will be getting is a Tiger Oscar.
    I am looking to get some other cichlids to go alongside an Oscar, which of these would you recommend?

Convict Cichlid?, Firemouth Cichlid?, Severum?, Jack Dempsey?
    If you don't recommend any of them, any other cichlids you would recommend alongside an Oscar?

2. Fish tank

Fish tank Valued Member Member

I have to say you need to get a fish that is the same size that the oscar won't eat and it also depends on what your going to feed him.

3. OP
    OP
    M

I'm actually still waiting on the tank to be delivered, so I'm still looking to confirm my final choice in terms of stocking for the tank, so I haven't got any of the fish for the tank yet. Whichever cichlids I decide to get, I plan on getting them while they are juveniles and letting them grow up together.

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

While the 100 gallon sounds large, it's not much larger from a dimensions stand point than a standard 75 gallon. With that being said, I think you can keep an oscar in that size tank for quite a while but I'm not sure you have much room for other large fish. The limitation though is you want to stay away from dwarf cichlids because they will likely become food one day. So if it were me I'd try to do a pair of sajicas or rainbow cichlids that get a little larger but not too large. Convicts would also work but a lot will depend on the temperament of the oscar. If it's aggressive then it may bully/kill the smaller fish but most oscars are actually big wimps and there are quite a few accounts of convicts killing larger oscars from team ups or just repeated attacks/untreated injuries. So maybe convicts if you've got a big bully oscar but otherwise I'd stick with something a bit calmer like rainbows, sajicas, eb acaras or something of a similar size. Maybe a female jack dempsey would be ok.

A lot will depend on your oscar's attitude. Make sure to get him young and preferably smaller than your other fish as 6 months from now it will be the largest fish in the tank. They are ridiculously fast growing.

5. Fish tank

I would say convicts or jack Dempseys

6. OP
    OP
    M

Convict one I have definitely been looking at. How would a Firemouth be with an Oscar do you reckon?

7. Fish tank

As long as they grow up together I think they will be like brothers play fighting but not hurting each other and won't be as aggressive like they never met each other.

8. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

I won't recommend another cichlid, rather a school of Silver Dollars.

9. Fish tank

When the oscar gets big the oscar will try to eat the silver dollars.

10. OP
    OP
    M

I am looking at more of a cichlid theme to the tank, and want to go the route of Central/South America cichlids. Just so I cover every possible stocking option,if I chose not to go for the Oscar, what sort of stocking list do you reckon would do well in a 100 gallon tank?

11. tyguy7760

In a 4 foot tank you would want to avoid the highly territorial guys that are oscar size like trimacs, dovii, etc unless you are going for a single fish. If it were me, I'd go for a large pair of central/south americans that were relatively peaceful (vieja/oscura heterospilus, vieja/maskoheros regani, severums, chocolates) along with some smaller robust cichlids like sajicas, rainbows, honduran red points, etc. This is assuming you don't do an oscar. I also wouldn't do any other fish other than maybe some dithers like diamond tetras or maybe congos.

12. OP
    OP
    M

I think I'm more likely to go for the Oscar, it's one of those fish that I have always wanted to keep.
    Do you reckon it would be ok to put 2 x Firemouth cichlids and 1 x Convict cichlid with an Oscar in a 100g tank?

13. tyguy7760

I would probably do the firemouths before the convict. I think an oscar with a couple firemouths would be fine.

14. OP
    OP
    M

How many firemouths would yo recommend with an Oscar?

15. tyguy7760

If you are getting them all young (including the oscar) I'd start with 4ish. Likely their will be trouble makers and you'll need to pair that down, especially if the tank looks crowded after a few months. If you are getting the firemouths close to adult size or sub adult, I'd just do 2.

16. b

bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

I have actually never seen an oscar try to eat a silver dollar. Not saying its never happened because im sure it has, but most of the time silver dollars are the best tankmate for oscars. They get big and fast enough that oscars just leave them be.

17. OP
    OP
    M

I think I'm going to go for 1 x Tiger Oscar and 3-4 Firemouth cichlids. I will be getting them all as juveniles. Do you think this will work?

18. b

bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

Yes but be careful with firemouths. I have had several and they can either be really aggressive or huge pushovers. With an oscar as a tankmate, both ways could end in disaster.

19. N

Nicholas Graham Valued Member Member

Always had a jack Dempsey with my 2 Oscars.

20. OP
    OP
    M

Think I'm gonna try some Firemouth Cichlids with the Oscar, as from what I have read, the JD is more aggressive compared to the Oscar and Firemouth?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice