Oscar tank 2 small!!!!

o0Faraz0o
umm before I had purchased my own aquarium me and one of my buddys went to the LFS alot!!! and ummm my friend who didnt seem to care much for fish fell in love with a baby tiger Oscar so did I but I new its was out of my league knowing how big it would get. But what happened was she ended up Buying this baby Oscar and bort a 10 gallon tank for it because that's the biggest size she could get (no room left at her house having 2 brothers and 2 sisters). So I Had no idea I end up going to here house and Bame!!! The baby tiger oscar ................... I said : why did u get that fish its gonna get to big and shes like ummm surprise!!!!. lol anyway it seems that her dad had told her that they could get a bigger tank when they change houses which is 1 year away maybe a bit less and she thought ot her self that it will be fine until then. So I wasn't sure and we both started researching and There was a youtube clip of like a oscar in a 10 gallon. so I thought ok its possible but hey that things going to grow and we don't know the growing rate. so guys umm do u think it will grow to much by the time they move houses.

the little Oscar is 2 inch and seems ok at the moment she feeds him chiclids pellets and crickets his in very good condition and I told her to do 30% water change every week cause oscars poo a lot lol. And I stoel all her plants because oscars nad plants don't go togeather. I had also brought up the idea of returning it but that doesn't seem like a option she said that she loves it more than her dog lol. This lil Oscar who she named O2 is like the cutties Oscar I have ever seen and neither me or her want it to be harmed.

capekate
Those lil baby tiger oscars are so dang cute! Its very hard to pass up the lil things... But alas.. as most of us know, they grow huge! I was looking at them just yesterday and thinking the same thing... I want one! Had to use my common sense and walk away....

... whew.. good thing! As long as your tiger is still so small it will take awhile before it really needs a huge tank, but that ten gal is going to get small very fast!

~ kate

Shrimpy
yeah ...oscars do ... well , you know. It comes from here

:;kmg

o0Faraz0o
yea kool hopefully he will be out of his tank before his to big.

Gunnie
I'm afraid that oscar will grow faster than you will be safely able to house him in that 10 gal. tank. They can grow as fast as an inch per month, and are huge waste producers. You will be changing water more than once a week just to keep the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates down. If you keep him in that tank for a year, his growth will be stunted, and he will not be healthy, sorry. The general rule is to purchase the right size tank for the adult size of the fish when you first buy the fish. Things happen, and that bigger tank may never get bought. If a 10 gallon is all that he can be housed in for a year, I'd recommend that your friend take the little cutie back until a bigger tank is accessible, and then stock the 10 gal. with a betta or something suitable for that tank.

Gozer_1
Gunnie is absolutely right. Oscars grow exponentialy their first year. You'll notice significant growth in a day if they're getting fed properly and have a proper size tank. If it's not growing that fast then it is not healthy. It won't have room to grow that fast in a 10 gallon and so will not be healthy even for 6 months let alone a year. I absolutely love my Oscar but she has 150 Gallons of room. Really they should have atleast 100 though some say less. You could get away with 55 for awhile. I've seen Oscars bigger than 18 inches. That's one big Oscar. Bettas have a similar personality and would do wonderful in a 10 gallon tank. Better color too. They're just as happy to see you and they eat a lot less. An adult Oscar can pack away food like you wouldn't believe. Mine is about 10 inches long and could stuff away a dozen Goldfish if I let her. I can't begin to guess how many earthworms she can fit in that huge maw of hers. You have to force her away from the food just so the others get some too. She's been trying to knock the bag of food out of my hand lately, jumping halfway out of the water. The Tin Foils have taken to following the Oscar around at feeding time to catch the scraps that pour out of the Oscars gill slits. Who says fish don't learn. lol

o0Faraz0o
well I took ur advise and went and bort 2 honey dwarf gourami for her 10 gallon and she actually accepted the trade we took the little guy back to the shop and the owner seem happy to take him abck because he said he was out of stock and had customers looking for oscar soo all went well but I felt sorry for it cause he was so shy when the guy but him into his new tank cute tho.

capekate
well I took ur advise and went and bort 2 honey dwarf gourami for her 10 gallon and she actually accepted the trade we took the little guy back to the shop and the owner seem happy to take him abck because he said he was out of stock and had customers looking for oscar soo all went well but I felt sorry for it cause he was so shy when the guy but him into his new tank cute tho.

Glad to hear that all worked out well for you and the fish shop! ;D

~ kate

Gozer_1
Good to hear. Glad everyone ended up happy. Gouramis are a wonderful replacement. Gouramis are a personal favorite. Great choice.

Gunnie

Excellent! I think your friend will be much happier, and so will the fish! The stress involved in that first tank has been eliminated all the way around! That's good fishkeeping!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
Fae
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views