Oscar tail, reason for concern?

BruceHey

Greetings all,

I wanted to know if anyone has seen something similar to the white area on my Albino Oscar's tail and if it is cause for concern? It struck me as abnormal and I was unsure if this would be a potential sign of a parasite? Sorry about the poor quality of the closeup images, but it was the best I could do after she finally remained still.

Thank you

Attachments

• tail closeup.jpg
    tail closeup.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • blondie.jpg
    blondie.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 11
  • tail closeup 1.jpg
    tail closeup 1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 11

BigManAquatics

Maybe a fungus thing, all i got. Can't really tell anything for sure other than something is there.

ChrissFishes01

The pic isn't the clearest, but I agree - it looks more like something fungal or bacterial than a parasite.

Would you mind posting your water parameters?

If this is the only fish in the tank, or if it's exclusively a SA Cichlid tank with no live plants, I'd just treat a 1 TBSP of aquarium salt per 2 gallons of water. That'll take care of most bacterial and fungal infections - although identifying the root cause will be important in avoiding it coming back.

BruceHey

The pic isn't the clearest, but I agree - it looks more like something fungal or bacterial than a parasite.

Would you mind posting your water parameters?

If this is the only fish in the tank, or if it's exclusively a SA Cichlid tank with no live plants, I'd just treat a 1 TBSP of aquarium salt per 2 gallons of water. That'll take care of most bacterial and fungal infections - although identifying the root cause will be important in avoiding it coming back.

Thanks for the responses. With regard to the water parameters, nitrite = 0, ammonia = 0, nitrate = 20 ppm, Ph = 7.4. There is one cohabitant, also an Oscar.

I did add aquarium salt based upon the dosing recommendation on the package (API aquarium salt), which recommends 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. So it sounds like going beyond that would be okay and I can add additional salt up to 1 tablespoon for every 2 gallons instead?

Thx!!!

ChrissFishes01

Thanks for the responses. With regard to the water parameters, nitrite = 0, ammonia = 0, nitrate = 20 ppm, Ph = 7.4. There is one cohabitant, also an Oscar.

I did add aquarium salt based upon the dosing recommendation on the package (API aquarium salt), which recommends 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. So it sounds like going beyond that would be okay and I can add additional salt up to 1 tablespoon for every 2 gallons instead?

Thx!!!
Yeah, 1 tbsp per 5 gallons is a pretty conservative dose for cichlids. 1 tbsp per 2 gallons should be fine - I'd see if it gets better, and if not after a week (or if it worsens), we'll have to reevaluate from there.

BruceHey

Yeah, 1 tbsp per 5 gallons is a pretty conservative dose for cichlids. 1 tbsp per 2 gallons should be fine - I'd see if it gets better, and if not after a week (or if it worsens), we'll have to reevaluate from there.
Thanks so much, I truly appreciate it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Aquarist
  • Stirling
  • Platy
Replies
Views