Oscar Sulking

DannyTanks

HI All,

I am having a really hard time cheering up my Oscar who is sulking since I moved him from his old 55 gallon home to his new 75 gallon aquarium. I raised him since he was less than an inch and now he is about 5-6 inches so I thought it would be appropriate to give him his own dedicated aquarium to grow old in. Ever since I re-housed him, he has been sulking in the corners of the tank and is seemingly terrified of me now. We used to be good pals and he would greet me when I walked in the room. He also has been very apprehensive about eating and almost entirely stopped eating pellets.

One thought I did have was that he is nearing sexual maturity and he is just going through some hormonal mood swings. Could this be the reason? How long would this last? He has been keeping this up for over a month now.

The problem is CERTAINLY not the water conditions. His tank is overfiltered with two cannister filters and get's weekly water changes. I have kept my nutrient dosing the same (aquarium salt and cichlid trace) that he had in his old aquarium. I have tried to make the transition as smooth as possible but for some reason, he has not taken it well.

I am hoping that some of you may have some experience with this and be able to help me get him back on the right track. I have tried everything I could - even sitting near the tank for hours just to reform our bond (I know, sounds silly). I started to think that he got bored being lonely in his new tank but I'd rather not get him a tank mate since he tends to either bully them or get bullied (doesn't play well with others). I am on the brink of giving up and finding a new home for him and starting over if I just can't make him happy.

Any suggestions would help.

Crispii

This is normal behavior for oscars. Oscars tend to sulk when they're placed into a new environment. Just give him some time and he'll warm up to you.

DannyTanks

This is normal behavior for oscars. Oscars tend to sulk when they're placed into a new environment. Just give him some time and he'll warm up to you.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TWiG87
Replies
Views
Pariah
  • bristoltonya
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views