Oscar Sick And Weak

1. W

Wtd03 New Member Member

my 2 inch Oscar was fine yesterday.

Woke up this morning and he was stuck to the filter intake.

Looks like his scales are dryish looking, peeling off. I turned the filter off and he only swam away using his two front arm fins. He doesnt even try to swim with his back fin. He is that weakend that he is getting pulled into the aquaclear 110.

What could be the problem here?

He is the only fish in a 20 gallon.

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10ppm and i just did a fresh water change.

Filter is currently off at the moment as its suddenly too strong for him

2. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

is your tank cycled? If not read up about the nitrogen cycle. You'll need to get started on that.
    20g is very very very small for an Oscar. they grow very fast, and get to around 13"-18" full grown. Meaning at least 75 gallons for one and 125-150 gallons or more for more than one and or tankmates. they're also very messy so heavy filtration is a must. So turning off your filter isnt good. Especially as they grow bigger. it sounds like your water quality isn't so good. Oscars are sensitive to water quality and get hole in the head etc pretty easily. Start with a water change, maybe rehome the fish if he's still alive.

3. OP
    OP
    W

Wtd03 New Member Member

Yes the tank has been cycled for months. Like i said he seems sick suddenly. He was fine one day and sick the next

4. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

it sounds like your water quality is off. But regardless, 20 gallons is way to small for an Oscar. Even at a small size. I mean no disrespect, but you really need to research Oscars and big cichlids in general before buying them. So many people make the mistake of buying them at a small size... And then a year later they have a monster fish in thier 20 gallon, 30 gallon tank. It's not a proper environment for a big animal. Your Oscar is moat likely sick due to water quality, stress, stunted growth or something internal or all of the above.

5. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Hello. 20 gallons is much too small for an Oscar!!! When I first got my Oscar Big Boy he was only 4 inches long and lived in a 55 gallon. In 6 months he doubled his size and I got him a 125. He is now around 15 inches and very happy in the 125!!! Please get him a bigger tank and ALWAYS have good filtration for them!!