oscar(s)?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Swifterz, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Swifterz

Swifterz Valued Member Member

can you put two oscars (one black, one albino) in a 55 if nothing else is in there with them? purchase size would be about 4 or 5" but i know they grow very quickly.

if not, could i get one and keep giant danios, tiger barbs or a pair of firemouth cichlids with it?

my TB's are all close to 3", and my giant danios are all around 4". the firemouths are around 4" as well.

i know with oscars it's a guessing game because they all behave differently. i wonder if the oscar could even catch the barbs or danios, and since they are all full grown he would have to be pretty big to swallow them.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I would suggest a minimum of 75 gallons for one adult oscar, but larger would be even better. I've seen oscars that are longer than the width of a 55 gallon tank and I like to see fish in tanks that they can at least turn around comfortably in.

3. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

I would say no. Oscars would not be a good tank mate for any of those fish. If want and oscar iwould say that you need at least a 55g for one with nothing else in it.

CB

4. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

thanks guys. i do really want one, but probably not if it means getting rid of all of my current fish.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

ok i really like convicts too, but i know they are aggressive. how would this be for final stocking?

2 convict cichlids
    2 firemouth cichlids
    6 tiger barbs
    4 giant danios
    1 rainbow shark

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Your convicts would attack your barbs and your giant danios. They're a highly aggressive fish:;swdad.

7. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

And Giant Danios and Tiger Barbs are fast for their size but a full grown oscar is a pretty powerful fish and could probably corner and vacuum suck them right in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice