Oscar Rescue, Best Way To Proceed

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think her gills are probably really rough right now. It may take her some time to stop gasping. Like a smoker who quits and it takes a while for the lungs to heal.

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve only tried the large cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp and some veggies. She won’t come near any of it, which is fine. I’m not expecting her to eat this week, but I will keep trying until she does

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
538CBD10-81E1-41E7-9BE0-9F0ACEF6248C.jpeg
4380F902-21C2-4A9A-83BD-6AAB56E58348.jpeg
Physically she is doing fantastic ! (Still won’t eat and turns into a diva when we open the lid) we’ve gotten her nitrates to about 40ppm but because of where I live(ammonia in Tap water) it’s also spiked her ammonia and nitrite to .50ppm and .25ppm respectively. While those number aren’t alarming yet, we’re going to hold off for two days and then do a small water change instead of the daily 50%.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wish you luck. I wish people took care of the water pets as much as we do. Glad your trying to help.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 595444 View attachment 595445 Physically she is doing fantastic ! (Still won’t eat and turns into a diva when we open the lid) we’ve gotten her nitrates to about 40ppm but because of where I live(ammonia in Tap water) it’s also spiked her ammonia and nitrite to .50ppm and .25ppm respectively. While those number aren’t alarming yet, we’re going to hold off for two days and then do a small water change instead of the daily 50%.
Fantastic! She’s looking much better.

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we’re at the week mark, we’ve gotten her color back and her face is healing. But she isn’t swimming around anymore, she’s staying on the bottom of the tank. Still no interest in food. Is there anything I can do to help her feel better ? She pooped once when we brought her home and she is currently pooping I think? It’s white though. Something I should be concerned about or is the color from her lack of food? I have no idea when she ate last, probably 2 weeks ?

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
If anyone cares for an update. It’s been a week and a half since rescue and the last 3 days she’s been hanging around the bottom, pushing around a couple things we gave her. No swimming. And today I came home to her laying on her side. I’ve done a water change. She still hasn’t eaten anything. So I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can do for her or if her past situation is catching up with her ? :(

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe it's just "pouting." I'd give it some more time to adjust. Continue with regular maintenance, but don't do anything stressful. If it won't eat, remove food within an hour or two.

I had one particularly stubborn fish take 2 weeks to finally come out and eat. If it's healing and looking better that's a good sign

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know they’re known for pouting and not eating. She has improved drastically in appearance, her HITH is much better, her tail is starting to heal from fin rot, she isn’t gasping as hard, she’s incredibly bright, with some shimmer coming back into her scales, and she was up and swimming around on the weekend. I know she’s gone through more change in the last week than she has in years.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sounds like your doing something right, mine would pout every time I did a water change.

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve started noticing she will flop and not really move if we are home and moving around, I’ve yet to sneak Into the house and see her swimming though. She’s staying in the bottom... is rubbing herself on the logs and new sand we got her normal? Lol I’ve never seen a fish do that but she seems to enjoy it .... still not eating worms are my next option !

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe live food is the ticket? Worms are great, or you could try isopods or maybe millipedes.

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0DCCE98E-A228-41E7-B1BC-901CE5F34117.jpeg
I’m willing to try anything at this point. This is currently our situation, as I just tried to feed her some krill..... anytime we get close to the tank she flops over. She will not eat anything I’ve tried, she doesn’t even respond to it. We’re putting in a bubbler and doing a water change today, but she’s either got something internal going on or the stress is going to kill her :(

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 622246 I’m willing to try anything at this point. This is currently our situation, as I just tried to feed her some krill..... anytime we get close to the tank she flops over. She will not eat anything I’ve tried, she doesn’t even respond to it. We’re putting in a bubbler and doing a water change today, but she’s either got something internal going on or the stress is going to kill her :(

bless her. Do you think she has a parasite? The other possibility is her organs are being squished from stunted growth from being in a small tank all this time.

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well up until we brought her home she was swimming fine and eating, she even took a bite at my fiancé. Since we’ve brought her home we’ve changed her environment, stabilized her nitrates, given her aquarium salt. Her HITH has improved significantly, and her fin rot has stopped. She’s been through a HUGE amount of changed from a tank that hasn’t changed in almost 7 years. She hops around the tank but rarely gets enough umph to get up and swim, she doesn’t seem to like us when we move around so I think she’s associating us with all the commotion.

RiRi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: we started her on metro 2 days ago and we haven’t seen any change, still no food and still laying on the bottom. Her water is finally about 30-40 ppm nitrates. She seems to perk up a bit when we do a water change (daily ) and when we add her medication and touch up the aquarium salt... I’m not convinced she’s going to make it at this point, 3 weeks with no food ? I’m really at a loss for what else to do :(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom