Oscar Problem?

1. Matty6477 Member Member

Hey everyone.

Just came home from work today and saw this white patch on my Oscar and I'm unsure what it is.

The water parameters are: ph - 7, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrates - 20. Tank is 100g, dimensions 48" L x 20" D x 24" H.

Apart from this white patch, he is very active and always eager to eat (as Oscars tend to be)

Any idea what this white patch could be?
  2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Looks like a fungal infection or start of a possible hole in the head disease.

How often you change the water?

3. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Very hard to say at this point what that is. Possibly fungus or ich, (very unlikely it's hole-in-the-head, but who knows it's possible?) Could be a cyst of some kind. Your nitrates are 20, so I think it's safe to say you are probably keeping things clean. I'd just keep an eye on it for now, watch for it growing or changing, collect opinions. Fish just get spots sometimes, and sometimes they just go away. But something to watch closely for sure. Good luck!
  4. Matty6477 Member Member

I do a 20 - 30% water change every week. It looks sort of like his scale has sort of dropped off. Doesn't seem to resemble fungus, but I'm gonna keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't get any worse. I'm hoping he has just scraped a scale off against the bog wood or something , but will see how he is the next few days.

Thanks for your help :)

5. Matty6477 Member Member

Just been home at dinner and checked on my Oscar who is named Moby, and the white patch on him has shrunk, and you can barely see it any more. So I'm thinking it might have been caused by him dislodging a scale against the bogwood in the tank. Still gonna keep an eye on him just to make sure he is ok, but he is active as ever and eating well.
  6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Was going to say...looks like a bump on the head to me...
  7. grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

It is just a bump, nothing to worry about, who's he living with?