Oscar/Predatory fish Build

1. chris1233 Member Member

So as an avid fish hobbyist I've started to think abut expanding and creating a much larger tank to house some much larger fish than I currently have. At the moment I have two ten gallon tanks and one twenty-nine gallon, which are beginning to become boring and rather small for my liking. That being said I was looking to create a tank through my knowledge of woodworking, and other useful techniques acquired through the years of my owning tanks. I have found several tutorials on how to build the tank and stand, however, I have one problem... how large of a tank should I build? I have a rough Idea of what I would like to keep, maybe one or two oscars and one or two peacock bass. Not all four, I'm just trying to decide what would be more fun to keep. If anyone would like to comment and tell me the following things I'd much appreciate it.

-Tank size in gallons
    -Possible Dimensions
    -Things to note when keeping these fish
    -food for them

Thanks for reading my post, I look forward to reading your comments!

2. Bamafish353 Member Member

I have 2 oscars in a 65 gallon tank and they are doing well! Personally I wouldn't have a bigger tank than 90 gallons for an Oscar. Not sure about the dimensions but my oscars are very gentle until it comes to eating. That brings me to what I feed them. Personally I prefer jumbo min large floating sticks they are pretty big so I don't recommend them for younger oscars. Hope this helped!! By the way I love my oscars they are so graceful!!!

3. beau Well Known Member Member

I'm not familiar with Peacock Bass, but when I was researching Oscars I was looking at putting a pair in a 125gal, 6ft long, and was told that even that may not be enough for the two of them. For only one, I personally would go for a minimum of a 75gal, or dimensions wise, 4ft long by 18" wide. That would provide enough swimming room lengthwise, and enough room for an adult fish to turn. I'm not sure what the person above me meant when saying they wouldn't have a tank larger than 90gal? It really isn't possible to go too big, and imo a 65gal is only just large enough for one.

4. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I would go 4-5ft by 2ft, that would make the Oscar very comfortable (height doesn't matter too much). Rethink the peacock bass, they get huge! I think they can get close to 3ft long?

If you're only keeping oscars, I think they enjoy insects e.g. crickets and grasshoppers, but I'm sure large pellets are a good option too.

5. chris1233 Member Member

Thanks for the comments, and yea I don't know about the peacock bass but they look really cool!

6. shusband Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do a peacock bass in a tank. They really need ponds, they get massive 20+ lbs. As for food oscars love earthworms I fed mine pellets daily with earthworms and crickets along with mosquito fish that I caught in the local creek (after a quarantine of a few weeks on veggies and flake).

7. Lenn777 Initiate Member

You might want to look between 55 and 100 gallon tank. I know a lot of people who have two oscars in 55 or 75 gallon tanks and they are healthy and vibrant. It depends on your level of commitment and keeping up with maintenance.

8. shusband Well Known Member Member

55 is not enough for a fully grown Oscar period. Mine got to big and could not turn around in its 55 so I had to rehome it. If someone likes Oscars they need at least 75, I wouldn't recommend smaller than a 90 gallon for a pair.

9. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Averaged sized captive bred Oscar is 12"-14". However with good care and a few years they can get up to 18".

10. Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

If you get a single Oscar your going to need a tank bigger than the 55 gallon sold at pet stores. The question really is are you making a tank from scratch or buying an aquarium? The problem with Oscars really is the fact when they get full grown the width of the tank would be too small for them. The length of most tanks are usually good for big fish but it is the width that is usually the problem. With an oscar you want to get a width of 2 feet. If you are going to make your own tank then you have more flexibility. Are you willing to spend as much money t reach your goal? or have a budget? The problem with bigger aquarium tanks when you have big fish is the fact for the fish POV it would be like humans living in 3 tractor trailor that been connected at the widths. It would be a long but narrow house. We would rather have those trailers connected by the lengths so that we have more room.