Oscar Parasite???

1. Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies Valued Member Member

85E47BE8-293A-4C5A-96EF-8B88B4C6C2C7.jpeg hey guys, I’m going to try to tell this story as easy and understandable as possible.... I HAD 3 Oscars in my grow out tank 75 gallon. My one original Oscar Ive had for a long time 4 months or so? I added in two other baby Oscars in to grow with him to all go to the 125 gallon. Here’s were issues started, yes I know I should have quarantine the two fish, but I never new about this being new. The one smallest Oscar seemed to be acting weird right off the bat, breathing fast, hiding 24/7, not eating and eventually died. The second one just recently died yesterday night, and the last couple days before today, he as pooping very long white stringy poop, and not eating and like i said, he died. Now I have my larger Oscar left in my 75, he doesn’t seem to be as lathargic, still doesn’t eat as I can tell, but h is swimming around at least. I ran to a local owned pet guy who has been doing this for years and he is guessing it’s a parasite internal. So he gave me this medicine (pic is what it is) what should I do? Will this medicine help???? Do you think he will make it? I woke up this morning and my Oscar was out but he has somewhat white poop but it’s still normal colored at the same time. Once again i know now that I should quarantine and I will never do this again, but I need help and advice. Thankyou.

2. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

Do you have any pictures? The 2 that died, where they allot younger than the one you have now?
    Without pictures and more info you can only really guess.
    Needless to say, I personally would still do a large water change and gravel vac and dose with Polygaurd to be on the safe side. I've never been a wait and see type, which there's absolutely nothing wrong with, I'm just to nervous and inpatient.
    What is the ingredients in the quickcure?

3. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Yes they were babies like 1-2 inches. I don’t have any pictures of the other two because they died, but I can maybe get a picture of what this Oscars poop looks like if that may help? And I can’t really do a water change because this medicine is 3 day treatment and needs to stay in the water. Water is kinda blue so pic may not be great, but I’ll get a pic of ingredients too.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

The thing that is confusing is that my Raphael catfish and bristlenose pleco seem to be just fine, as far as I can tell that is. I guess I should add also, before the last small one died yesterday, he had very long white stringy poop and was doing a very iratic what I friend called “death spin” so he was guessing it was parasite getting into organs and swim bladder.

5. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

The two that died were bought at the same time also.

6. edevingo

The spinning sounds like whirling disease and yes your friend is correct. Your Oscar looks great even better that nobody ate the bodies. Reason I ask age is because larger adults tend to do far better warding off things ect. Parasites live in aquariums all the time but just like we are around sick people, it doesn't mean that we will catch it. Smaller fish obviously have little bellies, bodies. Which means it doesn't take much for a parasite to take over. Large fish such as yours, if kept in a proper tank, water parameters ect.. Are pretty tough fish and can fight off disease, illness ect.. Most fish will die from not being able to pass. internal parasites that have taken over. I'd have to imagine it would take allot for your oscar not to be able to pass something through him. Lol
    Long story short he's a beautiful fish and looks well taken care of. Definetly do the treated per instructions but I bet he will be fine. Oh and fish can poop white when stressed.

7. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

image.jpg
    Thankyou very much. I did my treatment for today and he seems to swim around, but still doesn’t want to eat, is that normal? He has poop still hanging out, but it seems to be getting longer and it’s almost like “beads” I’ll post a picture. You think he will be okay? Not sure about the poop thing.

8. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

9. edevingo

Will he eat a few peas?

10. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Haven’t tried. He’s never had em

11. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Yeeeeeep didn’t take it lol

12. edevingo

Is it still there or did he pass it? If you have some Prazi that will help flush him out. Neither of the ingredients in the general cure are generally used for anything internal. Also make sure while using that, watch your water. Both can kill your cycle. Don't want to stress anyone with high readings and plenty of oxygen.

13. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

I had no clue it can kill your cycle. That poop thing that I showed was passed yes, then I did a light gravel vac and water change of 5 gallons to pick up all the junk off the ground. I just did my last dosing of that stuff this morning at like 5am. I get off work at 2:30 today, should I do a water change when I get home, and gravel vac? If so how many gallons???

14. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

I honestly was going to test water, but I wasn’t sure if you could. Didn’t know if the medicine would mess with the readings and if it would be off.

15. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Thankyou for all the help. It’s appreciated. But I’m sorry to say, my poor guy didn’t make it....

16. edevingo

Your welcome. I'm so sorry. I'd have to imagine that he was also sick when you purchased him. From the pictures his fins body looked good. For a parasitic worm to take over and kill him within days is unlikely.
    I'm not sure what your maintenance schedule was like but I have always kept fish since a kid. Always remember loosing fish. Stopped for a while because it seemed i couldn't keep anything alive. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but ever since I started back up with African Cichlids I've been doing W/C every 3-4 days and knock on wood, I haven't lost anyone other than one to a fight.
    Again sorry for loosing him. It never siezes to amaze me how attached to our water babies you can get.

17. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Thankyou for your concern. I have a great schedual over all. I’ve had him for around 4 months. And I always have done 25 gallon water change on my 75 once a week. And parameters are always on check. Have an fx4, and a 406 filtering the water along with bio sponge. I guess he just was to far gone. Maybe it was goin on longer than I seen. Hopefully my pleco and cat are gonna be okay. I have prazi pro on the way in the mail on Monday. So I’m guessing I should treat the tank with it. Right?