Oscar Not Eating As Much

Dawn Michele
Hello everyone!!! Hope everything is going well for you and your fishies!!! My Oscar Big Boy is doing very well!!! He's big , alert and swimming around. But decided the last few days not to eat as much. I tell myself every year to remember what he does and when he does it. I forget. LOL!!! Does anyone know if they go through these stages when Spring arrives or breeding time? Thank you.

fissh
What kind of fish is Your Big Boy? Have there been any changes made to your tank lately?

Dawn Michele
What kind of fish is Your Big Boy? Have there been any changes made to your tank lately?
He is an Oscar. I haven't done anything to the tank. I know they go through these changes during certain times of the year and I can't remember if he did this last year during Spring.

fissh
Oscars are big piggies and unless he has a female in the tank with him, not eating is a cause for alarm.

Dawn Michele
Oscars are big piggies and unless he has a female in the tank with him, not eating is a cause for alarm.
I have no idea why he would be like this. I don't understand??? Any idea's???

fissh
Do you have test kits? When ever I'm not sure I do a 50% water change and see how he reacts.

Dawn Michele
Thank you!!! I appreciate your help.

I just tested the water and everything is fine.

fissh
I'd still do a water change, it could be something in the water you can't test.

Dawn Michele
I'd still do a water change, it could be something in the water you can't test.
I just did one the other day on his tank and my other tank. They get done every Sunday.

shutterbug13
Can you give us some for info (temp, tank size, tankmates, etc.)?

Dawn Michele
The tank is 125 gallon. 85 degrees. He is all by himself. IM thinking he might be going through some stage. I can't remember if he did this last year when Spring started.

fissh
I just did one the other day on his tank and my other tank. They get done every Sunday.
Did he slow down on feeding after the water change?

Dawn Michele
Did he slow down on feeding after the water change?
He did.

The other fish in the other tank are fine.

Earlier in the week I did clean the filters. I don't think it disrupted anything. Maybe he's mad at me for doing too much in his tank. LOL!!!

fissh
85 degrees is WAY TO WARM for an Oscar, 76 to 78 would be much better. I would still do a water change and drop his temp down slowly in a period of two days. If you have PRIME put a 2 x dose after the water change. The reason he's not eating well is something to do with the tank and filter cleaning, not that he's mad at you.

Dawn Michele
85 degrees is WAY TO WARM for an Oscar, 76 to 78 would be much better. I would still do a water change and drop his temp down slowly in a period of two days. If you have PRIME put a 2 x dose after the water change. The reason he's not eating well is something to do with the tank and filter cleaning, not that he's mad at you.
OK. I will go and do that.Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

Dawn Michele
Hello. I did the water change and lowered the temperature and he had an appetite. Thank you again for all your help. I appreciate it.

fissh
I'm glad big boy seems happy again.

Dawn Michele

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LexiNicoleAKAFishAddict
Replies
Views
Fae
Replies
Views