Oscar lying?

Tian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good day,

So lately i've noticed some odd behaviour with my one year old Tiger Albino Oscar.....
He swims normally, still eats like a little jerk (cichlid sticks, flakes, arowana pellets & sticks etc and once a week bloodworms and once a month guppies)

So the odd part is that he would slowly go down to the bottom of the tank and lie on his stomach. Sometimes on his side too. I thought it was normal, since some cichlids sleep on the bottom, until my friend with fish store came to visit and told me that it is not normal and that he have lost a couple of oscars over the years and cant get the issue causing it....

Any idea what it might be? Is it normal or not?

Tank is a 214 gallon in size....
Nitrates- between 10 & 25
Nitrite/Ammonia-0
PH-7.4
Temperature- 75-77 F

He also is the dominant cichlid in the tank....

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For oscars is not that unusual. As long as this is not happening all the time and it eats and acts normal, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It means it's not "happy" for whatever reason. This can mean a problem... or nothing much. I can't see anything wrong from what you've said of its tank so if it's doing it after a binge I'd just say it eats a bit much and needs a bit of a lie down....

Tian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the responses....

I've monitored his behaviour much more closely after reading this.... It happens more often after a meal so that makes sense. He would lie down for no more than 20 seconds then go up again for a long while cruising thru the tank with his other Oscar buddy.... :) That happens everyday after a meal....

Sometimes through the day he would also go down and lie for a couple of seconds.... But not everyday.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom