Oscar Loses Eye

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
I just got a Oscar from the store. I get home, acclimate him and put him in my tank. As soon as I put him in the tank a cichlid a little bit bigger then him goes right up to him and starts circling. He then goes in for some bites on the oscars. Once I saw that I try and get the Oscar out as quick as possible. Unfortunately the cichlid had grabbed his eye and ripped it out. I have the Oscar in a 20 gallon tank right now without the cichlids. What is the chance of him surviving this and what should I do to help him heal? Or anything I can do.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's awful. Expect a fungus to take hold on the vacated eye socket. I don't normally recommend Melafix, but it does act as a mild antiseptic and has the potential to help.
I'm guessing an African Cichlid did the damage?

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
A201 said:
That's awful. Expect a fungus to take hold on the vacated eye socket. I don't normally recommend Melafix, but it does act as a mild antiseptic and has the potential to help.
I'm guessing an African Cichlid did the damage?
South African but yes. Also he passed away last night. I went to the store and got a new Oscar. Since I brought him home he has been sitting near the bottom. Also when he swims around, when he stops and he just sits in one place he like falls over sideways. Any reason why he would do this? He has just been hiding behind a rock for a while now, just sitting on the bottom.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your water parameters are okay, the new Oscar's lethargic behavior is probably temporary. Some fish acclimate quicker than others. The important thing now is to get the Oscar eating. Be a good idea to keep the light dimmed, or off for a few days.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
A201 said:
If your water parameters are okay, the new Oscar's lethargic behavior is probably temporary. Some fish acclimate quicker than others. The important thing now is to get the Oscar eating. Be a good idea to keep the light dimmed, or off for a few days.
Not really sure what to feed him. Since it’s only him in the tank it seems like it would be hard to make it fall almost right in front of him. How should I get it to him so he eats it, also what should I feed him.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
A201 said:
Try Omega One "small grain" sinking Cichlid pellets. My fish tear it up.
Ok I’ll try that. I was actually looking at it last night. How small are the actual pellets? I am just wondering if he will be able to eat it. He is still very small.

treadingwater

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NicksFishTanks said:
Ok I’ll try that. I was actually looking at it last night. How small are the actual pellets? I am just wondering if he will be able to eat it. He is still very small.
Eventually the pellets will be soft enough after sitting in the water for it to eat. @Dawn Michele knows a lot about oscar care. Maybe she can give you some advise about this.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Omega pellets are very small. My baby Africans have no trouble eating them.

New Threads