Oscar jumped out the tank! Help!

FuryX

My oscar jumped out of the tank today because I opened the lid and walked out the room to get his food. I picked him up immediately after he fell on the floor and put him back in. He's barely moving but he is still breathing because I can see his gills moving. Other than that he is still and his pectoral fins are moving once in a while. Should I do anything or just let him sulk??

Attachments

• DSCF7300.JPG
    DSCF7300.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 70

A201

There's really nothing else to be done. Maybe turn off the lights.
Several years ago my prized Royal Blue Peacock Cichlid did a swan dive out of the tank onto our flag stone floor. Like you, I immediately scooped him up & put him back into the tank. Other than being a little dazed, he completely recovered in a few days. I still have him.

Fisheye

Not much to do except turn the lights off, don't feed and observe. Tomorrow check to see if there's any tissue injury and do a large water change if you have to. Sorry you are dealing with this-hope he'll be ok.

FuryX

Not much to do except turn the lights off, don't feed and observe. Tomorrow check to see if there's any tissue injury and do a large water change if you have to. Sorry you are dealing with this-hope he'll be ok.
A bit of dirt from the floor was still on him when I put him back but he swam and it came off and the filter sucked it up. I am scared ngl because it never happened to me before. My dad used to have Jack Dempseys in a 200 gal and they used to jump out.

Fisheye

It is super scary and also tempting to do something...but there's nothing to do except reduce further stressors. What did your dad ever do when his fish jumped out?

A201

I don't think the dirt will do much damage. Maybe do a WC tommorow.

FuryX

It is super scary and also tempting to do something...but there's nothing to do except reduce further stressors. What did your dad ever do when his fish jumped out?
Picked em up and put em right back in. I think it's just because naturally oscars sulk and it makes them look like they are dying and they really aren't

ashcrash

As already mentioned you’ve done all that you can at this point, I’d just turn the lights off to reduce stress as mentioned and monitor.
My Jack Dempsey took a similar dive onto the tile floor last week and aside from some bruising she was ok. It took about 3-4 days for the bruising to decrease and you can’t even really see it now. I checked with my LFS because to me it looked like her fins were clamped & she wasn’t swimming much, the owner told me that with most of the larger species of fish as long as they’re looking around and moving their eyes they’ll most likely survive.

good luck with your Oscar!

TWiG87

You made all the right moves. FWIW, when I bought my Harlequin rasboras from the LFS, one of them panic jumped from the stores tank and took a 4-5 foot dive to the floor. Employee asked if I still wanted him and I couldn’t just leave him because he would be the only one left there. I took him home. He’s still alive (3 months now) and I Can’t even tell which one it was.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DannyTanks
Replies
Views
TClare
  • lancefamous21
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
watercat