Oscar Hole In The Head

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! A customer where I work just recently gave me a 70 gal with an Oscar in it, she wasn't able to keep up with the maintenance of the tank (she's an older lady with metal rods in her back), the Oscar was given to her by her daughter and raised it since then.

I have it now and I've noticed it has hole in the head, I did an 80% water change in the tank when I took it home and he seems to be doing alright, I read just keep the water clean, no temperature flucuations, and keep 0 ammonia-nitrite. It has 2 filters (1 Fluval 70 and 1 Forza 40-80), I will do a water check tomorrow to see the parameters to know if the filters are already cycled.

To summarize/questions:
What's the best way to treat Hole in the Head for an Oscar?
What tank size is best for an Oscar? (70 gallon right now, I was thinking of upgrading him to a 120 gallon)

QheCphs.png

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It would only benefit him to upgrade to 120, I vote yes. I'd get food with metronidazole, or it's also okay to just get water additive metronidazole. Spoil this fish with food variety, something different every day. Pellets (only high quality brands like Hikari, Spectrum, etc), brine shrimp, blood worms, krill, silversides, shrimp, superworms, crickets, mealworms, nightcrawlers. I'd suggest investing in a canister filter, especially if you're gunna upgrade to the 120. It's good that you have 0 ammona and nitrite, but I should add that due to his disease, I'd never let the nitrates go above 20. Best of luck!

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaticJ said:
It would only benefit him to upgrade to 120, I vote yes. I'd get food with metronidazole, or it's also okay to just get water additive metronidazole. Spoil this fish with food variety, something different every day. Pellets (only high quality brands like Hikari, Spectrum, etc), brine shrimp, blood worms, krill, silversides, shrimp, superworms, crickets, mealworms, nightcrawlers. I'd suggest investing in a canister filter, especially if you're gunna upgrade to the 120. It's good that you have 0 ammona and nitrite, but I should add that due to his disease, I'd never let the nitrates go above 20. Best of luck!
Thank you for the suggestions! I have 4 different types of frozen food and all Omega One foods currently to feed him, I'll be building him a sump after I move in a couple weeks, I've never thought of trying mealworms/superworms/crickets/nightcrawlers either. I'll try these! Thanks!

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found the cause, when I first got him his heater was set to the high 80's and when I put my electronic thermometer in the water it was 88f. I lowered it gradually to 78f and I checked the water parameters 24 hours after the big water change and there's 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, but 4ppm ammonia. The filters given weren't cycled at all, I believe the previous owners possibly swapped the media out too often or didn't use conditioner.

I threw in my ceramic media & lava rocks from my sump into his Fluval 70 and took out his old bag of activated carbon since I wasn't sure how long it had been in there before I got him. Hopefully this helps him!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom