oscar heater Help

1. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

hey, im planning on getting a tiger Oscar soon as room gets finished, and tank set up... and i hear that they like to bump(and break) things... im not worried about filter intakes(maybe il stock up on spares:p or find somewhere that can make me a custom out of that new indestructible plastic like stuff)

anyhow are there special heaters that can withstand an Oscar, or should i consider an under-gravel heater, or would he did that up too? also if the heater breaks is there risk of fish getting fried or it causing fires etc.

2. Camacho Member Member

oscars will be oscars they will tare your tank apart and make it the way they want it lol. my oscar hasnt broken my heater....yet but he and the jds have gone threw 3 in tank thremosates. i dont see why it would cause a fire. but electricution could be invloved but again idk cause all that a heater really is hot coil so idk im not 100% sure but i also would love to know that answer

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if he has a proper tank size, he wont bother your heater

4. Bent72 Member Member

just depends on how tempermental your oscar ends up being and what other objects it can take its wrath out on lol;D;D;D

5. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

lol...with my luck il pick a mental one who likes the taste of warm glass(heaters)ive read that 30 gal is MIN for Oscars how will a 40 gal suit?

6. outlaw Well Known Member Member

7. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

great... deff get metal heater, 55 eh? might wait on Oscar than, how fast do they grow?(maybe can get another 55..or that 75 before he gets to big)

8. outlaw Well Known Member Member

I do not and will not claim to be an oscar keeper but here is a quote from the link recommending 55gal min.

"It is not uncommon to have an oscar grow from 1 inch to 9 inches in a single year!"

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oscars belong in huge tanks...we all say we will get a bigger tank, but something comes up and who knows....IMO, oscars belong in 55g for one, and 90-100g for 2....they grow fast and like a ton of space to swim, splash, spin around...not to mention, they are HUGE waste producers and can mess up a tank really fast....I have a ton of vids of mine, and can prove that even a 75g isnt enough space.....where did you read that 30g was fine for an oscar?

10. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

owell... theres no room for a 75g anyways :( will have to wait LONG time for oscar>.>.....
    will get 2nd choice of fish instead! :D... calico goldfish AS I think they look like koi and i think koi are beautiful so il get the "smaller uns"... even if they don't have as much personality as a oscar... well thanks again.

11. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Bad thing is many many sites say this......

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im glad you decided to wait...but can you tell me where you read about the 30g for oscars?

13. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Look Shawnie the very first site I went to with a google search....

http://www.aquariumguys.com/oscar-fish-care-article.html

Oscar fish need at least 30 gallons of space each. The minimum tank size for a single Oscar fish should be 40 gallons.

Says they need 30gal each, but then say min. for single fish should be 40gal...lol

Brian

14. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

just lets you know that you cant believe every thing you read..look at the sources ;)

check out http://www.oscarfishlover.com/oscars-need-big-tanks which is a reliable site and most know them very well ....again im glad you changed your mind and theres NO WAY an oscar can live in a 30g or even a 40g

16. btate617 Well Known Member Member

http://www.firsttankguide.net/oscar.php
    Your Oscar tank should provide at least 30 gallons of space per Oscar, plus any space needed for any other fish.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2331335_take-care-oscar-fish.html
    Buy the correct amount of aquarium space. Oscars can grow to sixteen inches which is a huge fish for a home aquarium. Be sure to have at least 40 gallons of water per every Oscar that you have in your aquarium.

These guys tell you the fish will get to 16" so be sure you have a 40gal tank!!

Out of the first 5 search results two of them said 30-40 gallons will work.

Brian

17. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Yea but most people look and do believe what they read. And oscarfishlover was like the 8th one down on my search, so many people won't make it that far. Thats why most people come here and say well crap I was told and read it would be fine in my 10gal tank....

Brian

18. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

ehow.... i was gunna say the about..both have the small red orbs "logo"

19. btate617 Well Known Member Member

???

20. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

sorry... it was about and some other site not ehow... to many "howto" sites out there