Oscar fish

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by aniketrocks777, Jul 15, 2015.

1. aniketrocks777

aniketrocks777 New Member Member

I bought a pair of Oscar fishes yesterday and one of them accidentally died...will the other one survive or should I buy one more fish.

2. octopanda

octopanda Well Known Member Member

hello.

Here are a few questions:

What is your tank size?

is it cycled, if not, do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

How long have you had fish?
    ------
    Oscars can NOT be kept together unless the tank is over 150 gallons.
    fish don't "accidentally" die. What does that mean?

3. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

It tried to jump out of tank and banged it's head on the tank roof

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Ouch :(

We still need answers to those questions... Generally one should not keep two oscars in the same tank, except for breeding purposes. They are not social fish, don't require tankmates, and are extremely conspecies aggressive.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Hate to hear of your new fish passing.

Please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

This Information will aid others with their responses.

Thanks! Best wishes for your tank and fish and I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

7. junebug

I would stop worrying about feeding them until you've answered all of the questions octopanda asked...

8. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

Actually my tank is 2 feet long and I don't know about nitrogen cycle and I bought my fish day before yesterday

And do Oscars stay in one place for long..plz help

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  9. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Couldn't disagree more with this. In a big enough tank (this is key) Oscars are one of the more peaceful cichlids, peaceful amongst themselves except when breeding, and peaceful (as adults) towards other fish they can't eat. Problems arise with all cichlids when cramped, which is the usual reason for Oscar aggression.

10. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

Oscars are great fish, aren't they?

You should read up about the nitrogen cycle.

Meanwhile, don't get any more fish just yet.

Do buy a bottle of Seachem Prime, and a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus of the correct size for your aquarium.

Please let us know what size (in gallons) your aquarium is.

Let us know what filter or filters you are running.

What temperature do you have your heater set for?

There are a lot of people who are ready to help you on this forum. We just need more information to get started.

11. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

Size of my tank is 2 feet long..and I have oxygen pump ..I don't have filters

12. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

That tank is too small for an Oscar. You will also need a filter to keep any kind of fish. There are articles here about the nitrogen cycle and proper size tanks for fish. Start researching to see which fish you like and can fit and live for life in the tank you have. Since you have only had the Oscar for a few days, I would try to return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

Yes I'm going to buy a filter...dude what should i feed my Oscar so that it stays healthy

I have kept it in a 2 feet tank since it is very small (3inches)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I would not worry about feeding it until you get a 75 gallon tank and large filter for it.

15. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

Don't worry bro I will buy one large tank as soon as possible...BT just tell me ways should I feed

16. hampalong

If you feed it without a filter the ammonia will kill it. You should get your tank ready for fish before you put fish in it.

17. junebug

In an extremely large tank, sure. But this isn't the case with most folks who keep them.

That said, I'm 'friends' with two oscars at a LFS, they are in separate tanks with no other fish, and they are known to try to bite people through the glass :p We call them "the meanies" lol.

18. hampalong

A 4ft x2x2 is big enough for one Oscar. 6x2x2 for a pair or to raise a group. These are not "extremely large tanks". In fact to people who keep Oscar-sized fish they're rather small. :)

Displacement behaviour, fish do it when they're on their own. Cichlids do it a lot.

19. junebug

My point was, people keep them in 55 and 75 gallon tanks and think it's fine to keep two or three or five oscars in there together. Scary, but that's often what ya see, at least here, across the pond :p To the average fishkeeper, a 100 US gallon tank is fairly huge.

20. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry about feeding them right now, I would worry about upgrading to a larger tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice