Oscar Fish Rubbing Against Gravel Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fredmsi, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Fredmsi

FredmsiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Hello guys I have being noticing my fish are rubbing their self against a gravel....It is causing white scrape Marks on fish....I don’t think it’s Ich but not sure....Water is good besides ammonia is at all .25....tank is a mouth old ....is this normal?

He seems skittish today
    See the white spot by his fin on the other side of him he has scrapes

[​IMG]

2. pRoy33

pRoy33Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    1 year
    If you’ve got .25 ppm ammonia then your tank isn’t cycled. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

3. OP
    OP
    Fredmsi

Ratings:
    +10
    Ya I know about it...I got a seeded filter sock from my local Fish store to help speed things up

Tank has been running for a month maybe a Little bit longer

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
  4. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It’s either ammonia, some other irritant in the water, external parasites or internal worms. My money is on the ammonia. You need to make sure it’s cycled before you add fish. You may get nitrites aswell...?

5. OP
    OP
    Fredmsi

Ratings:
    +10
    Nah nitrites are zero

6. Ronniethewitch

RonniethewitchValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +406
    Experience:
    1 year
    What are your nitrates at? I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I think that you need all three readings regularly to know where your cycle is. You can get ammonia in a tank for all sorts of reasons, new fish, dead fish or snail, food that hasn't been vacuumed up. Whatever the reason you don't want it in your tank and need water changes with a conditioner to get rid of it. It's also the easiest reason for the flashing that you can check. If I see something happening in my tank I make a list of what it can be then start crossing things off (starting with easiest and cheapest to check)

7. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,257
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you have ammonia, I would recommend an enormous water change and a healthy dose of Prime to get things safe for your oscar again. Flashing is a sign of irritation, and the white by his dorsal fin definitely looks like a scrape to me.

8. OP
    OP
    Fredmsi

Ratings:
    +10
    I am useing api master test kit nitrates and nitrites are showing zero....my tap water dose have Ammonia in it

The ammonia really ain’t that high and I but useing prime.....how much water should I change will that hurt the cycle?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
  9. NiHa

NiHaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Turn on ur heater at 30 degrees at first.if the white spot not go. Increase degree to 32 degrees

10. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +201
    Experience:
    Just started
    Retest your nitrates and shake the heck out of the second bottle hitting it against your palm and then shake the test tube for one min.
    It should not be zero

11. Ronniethewitch

RonniethewitchValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +406
    Experience:
    1 year
    It's usually the case that readings of ammonia and no nitrates means you are just beginning your cycle. Not always but almost always. Partial water changes are important to remove toxins, the bacteria you want grows on all surfaces of substrate and filter media etc if you keep on top of water changes until you see nitrates, then you can slow down with the water changes a bit. I love how concerned you are- means your a good person to have fish family good luck!

12. NiHa

NiHaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    change water half aquarium every 3 days

13. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    The ammonia isn't high enough to warrant that, and with the addition of prime, there's no need.
    OP, does the white spot look like Ich to you? It's hard for me to tell, I'm not great with colors.
    Also, does he only scratch at that point? No other places on the body?

14. OP
    OP
    Fredmsi

Ratings:
    +10
    No they look like mark from rubbing on gravel.. tank has been up for a month how am I just starting cycle

15. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    So it just looks like open skin or some kind of injury? Is it raised?
    As for your cycle, I should be able to give you an answer based off of your nitrates. My guess is that you do have nitrates of some kind, since your ammonia is very low and you don't have nitrites. What kind of test kit do you use?

16. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi. Looks like scratch marks to me. When my Oscar Big Boy was little he use to get scratches all the time from banging into the filter and stuff!!! LOL!!! Pristine water will heal that up.

17. OP
    OP
    Fredmsi

Ratings:
    +10
    I am useing the api master test kit

18. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    Huh, very interesting. False negatives on the nitrate test aren't that uncommon. Are you shaking bottle two for 30 seconds and the test tube for 60 seconds?
    It doesn't make sense for you cycle to be totally gone, as the ammonia is too low for an Oscar in an uncycled tank. If it was truly uncyled, it should be much higher.
    Your substrate is gravel? How deep is your gravel bed? I had a gravel bed that started growing bacteria that converted nitrates to nitrogen gas, meaning the tank had 0 nitrates but was fully cycled.

19. OP
    OP
    Fredmsi

Ratings:
    +10
    I am shakeing is for about 10 secs....I have about 2 to 3 inches of gravel......I been cleaning graval Vac once a week....tank been up for over a month I also I have a seeded filter sock in one of my filters from a local fish store......I have a Oscar a jack Dempsey a repeal catfish and a baby pelco
    In the tank with Oscar..ammonia is never higher then .50 I been useing bacteria in the bottle to....I tested my tap water is has ammonia in it about 1ppm...tank has 800 gph of water movement tank is 55g

20. NiHa

NiHaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I did have experienced to my loach.same like this.so im just share what i did .so its up to u.just make friend here