Oscar Fish Rubbing Against Gravel

Fredmsi

Hello guys I have being noticing my fish are rubbing their self against a gravel....It is causing white scrape Marks on fish....I don’t think it’s Ich but not sure....Water is good besides ammonia is at all .25....tank is a mouth old ....is this normal?

He seems skittish today
See the white spot by his fin on the other side of him he has scrapes

ddbba44812d121bce6efcdd9960265f4.jpg

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Ya I know about it...I got a seeded filter sock from my local Fish store to help speed things up

Tank has been running for a month maybe a Little bit longer

Coptapia

Well Known
It’s either ammonia, some other irritant in the water, external parasites or internal worms. My money is on the ammonia. You need to make sure it’s cycled before you add fish. You may get nitrites aswell...?

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
What are your nitrates at? I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I think that you need all three readings regularly to know where your cycle is. You can get ammonia in a tank for all sorts of reasons, new fish, dead fish or snail, food that hasn't been vacuumed up. Whatever the reason you don't want it in your tank and need water changes with a conditioner to get rid of it. It's also the easiest reason for the flashing that you can check. If I see something happening in my tank I make a list of what it can be then start crossing things off (starting with easiest and cheapest to check)

NiHa

Turn on ur heater at 30 degrees at first.if the white spot not go. Increase degree to 32 degrees

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
It's usually the case that readings of ammonia and no nitrates means you are just beginning your cycle. Not always but almost always. Partial water changes are important to remove toxins, the bacteria you want grows on all surfaces of substrate and filter media etc if you keep on top of water changes until you see nitrates, then you can slow down with the water changes a bit. I love how concerned you are- means your a good person to have fish family good luck!

NiHa

Fredmsi said:
The ammonia really ain’t that high and I but useing prime.....how much water should I change will that hurt the cycle?
change water half aquarium every 3 days

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
NiHa said:
change water half aquarium every 3 days
The ammonia isn't high enough to warrant that, and with the addition of prime, there's no need.
OP, does the white spot look like Ich to you? It's hard for me to tell, I'm not great with colors.
Also, does he only scratch at that point? No other places on the body?

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

No they look like mark from rubbing on gravel.. tank has been up for a month how am I just starting cycle

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Fredmsi said:
No they look like mark from rubbing on gravel.. tank has been up for a month how am I just starting cycle
So it just looks like open skin or some kind of injury? Is it raised?
As for your cycle, I should be able to give you an answer based off of your nitrates. My guess is that you do have nitrates of some kind, since your ammonia is very low and you don't have nitrites. What kind of test kit do you use?

Dawn Michele

Well Known
Hi. Looks like scratch marks to me. When my Oscar Big Boy was little he use to get scratches all the time from banging into the filter and stuff!!! LOL!!! Pristine water will heal that up.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Rtessy said:
So it just looks like open skin or some kind of injury? Is it raised?
As for your cycle, I should be able to give you an answer based off of your nitrates. My guess is that you do have nitrates of some kind, since your ammonia is very low and you don't have nitrites. What kind of test kit do you use?
I am useing the apI master test kit

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Fredmsi said:
Huh, very interesting. False negatives on the nitrate test aren't that uncommon. Are you shaking bottle two for 30 seconds and the test tube for 60 seconds?
It doesn't make sense for you cycle to be totally gone, as the ammonia is too low for an Oscar in an uncycled tank. If it was truly uncyled, it should be much higher.
Your substrate is gravel? How deep is your gravel bed? I had a gravel bed that started growing bacteria that converted nitrates to nitrogen gas, meaning the tank had 0 nitrates but was fully cycled.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Rtessy said:
Huh, very interesting. False negatives on the nitrate test aren't that uncommon. Are you shaking bottle two for 30 seconds and the test tube for 60 seconds?
It doesn't make sense for you cycle to be totally gone, as the ammonia is too low for an Oscar in an uncycled tank. If it was truly uncyled, it should be much higher.
Your substrate is gravel? How deep is your gravel bed? I had a gravel bed that started growing bacteria that converted nitrates to nitrogen gas, meaning the tank had 0 nitrates but was fully cycled.
I am shakeing is for about 10 secs....I have about 2 to 3 inches of gravel......I been cleaning graval Vac once a week....tank been up for over a month I also I have a seeded filter sock in one of my filters from a local fish store......I have a Oscar a jack Dempsey a repeal catfish and a baby pelco
In the tank with Oscar..ammonia is never higher then .50 I been useing bacteria in the bottle to....I tested my tap water is has ammonia in it about 1ppm...tank has 800 gph of water movement tank is 55g

NiHa

Rtessy said:
The ammonia isn't high enough to warrant that, and with the addition of prime, there's no need.
OP, does the white spot look like Ich to you? It's hard for me to tell, I'm not great with colors.
Also, does he only scratch at that point? No other places on the body?
I did have experienced to my loach.same like this.so I'm just share what I did .so its up to u.just make friend here

Gone

Well Known
Fredmsi said:
I am shakeing is for about 10 secs....I have about 2 to 3 inches of gravel......I been cleaning graval Vac once a week.

In the tank with Oscar..ammonia is never higher then .50 I been useing bacteria in the bottle to....I tested my tap water is has ammonia in it about 1ppm...tank has 800 gph of water movement tank is 55g
You need to shake the nitrate bottle #2 for 30 seconds before you add the drops, then shake the test tube for 60 seconds, then let it sit for five minutes. If you're only shaking for 10 seconds that's not going to give you a good reading. You can also smash bottle #2 into the wall seven times and put it in a vice and hit it with a hammer, but that's an old wives tale.

1 ppm ammonia is a lot for tap water. While it's true that ammonia levels of .5 or lower aren't usually a huge issue, the fact that there's any ammonia present is a problem.

Have you been using bottled bacteria? If so that could be why your test readings don't make sense, especially zero nitrites.

I'd recommend retesting your nitrates for starters. I'd also recommend you don't vacuum the gravel until you get the cycle issues figured out.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Okay I’ll test it agean I’ll take that number 2 bottle put in washer and set it on spin lol

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Fredmsi said:
I am shakeing is for about 10 secs....I have about 2 to 3 inches of gravel......I been cleaning graval Vac once a week....tank been up for over a month I also I have a seeded filter sock in one of my filters from a local fish store......I have a Oscar a jack Dempsey a repeal catfish and a baby pelco
Well hey, that probably means you have nitrates! 0.25 ppm is a common false positive for the ammonia test, and with that many animals, there is no way your ammonia is that low in an uncycled tank, so you should be good!

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Hey guys just retest nitrate and it was 40 to 80 ppm here a pic gonna do a 50% water change

077f2ae9502c1ab4a7134587ecb3c693.jpg

LeBreevee

When they scratch themselves on the gravel that is known as “flashing

Usually they do that when something is off when it comes to their water quality. Mine started flashing and upon testing I found I had a small nitrite spike. I did 30% water changes every other day (with seachem prime as my dechlorinator) and added some seachem stability after every change to add in beneficial bacteria. Since my paramaters have evened out, no one has flashed.

The ammonia at .25 is plenty enough of an irritant for an oscar and would explain the flashing. Not to mention the nitrate rating is insanely high. Water changes are the best cure.

Just keep doing water changes every other day to every 3 days to even out the water paramaters and he should stop flashing.

Good luck!

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

LeBreevee said:
When they scratch themselves on the gravel that is known as “flashing

Usually they do that when something is off when it comes to their water quality. Mine started flashing and upon testing I found I had a small nitrite spike. I did 30% water changes every other day (with seachem prime as my dechlorinator) and added some seachem stability after every change to add in beneficial bacteria. Since my paramaters have evened out, no one has flashed.

The ammonia at .25 is plenty enough of an irritant for an oscar and would explain the flashing.

Just keep doing water changes every other day to every 3 days to even out the water paramaters and he should stop flashing.

Good luck!
b1fc7b22e7cbf3d04a7d2c47792bb119.jpg

My apI master kit been reading zero nitrates come to find out I had a shake it better when mixing now it’s showing 40 to 80 ppm nitrates

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
b1fc7b22e7cbf3d04a7d2c47792bb119.jpg

My apI master kit been reading zero nitrates come to find out I had a shake it better when mixing now it’s showing 40 to 80 ppm nitrates
Well I am glad you found a potential answer as to what could be causing problems! More frequent water changes is what would be best at this point.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

LeBreevee said:
Well I am glad you found a potential answer as to what could be causing problems! More frequent water changes is what would be best at this point.
Dose this mean my tank is Cycled

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
Dose this mean my tank is Cycled
It means its getting there, you will know the tank is fully cycled when ammonia is 0ppm, nitrites are 0ppm, and nitrates are below 20 I believe (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

I know currently with your nitrates being that high something is wrong.

Have you checked your tap water to see if it has nitrates in it before adding it to your tank? Some people have high nitrates in their tap water.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

I just tested my tap water for nitrates and it has 10 to 20 ppm of nitrates

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
I just tested my tap water for nitrates and it has 10 to 20 ppm of nitrates
AND THERE IT IS!

Ok so, with that being said and having that many nitrates off the bat, you might want to look into how to lower your nitrates in your tap water before you add it to your tank.

Because you want to stay at 20ppm or below, and initally already having nitrates in your tap water might be throwing off your tank. Not to mention it would make it more difficult to track if your tank is cycled or not.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

How do it lower it since it’s my tap water

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
How do it lower it since it’s my tap water
It seems however the best course of action in your case would to be to find another water source if possible. Unfortunately it would be more costly to buy water, but concidering how high the nitrates test in your tap water, its a viable option. I would do some major googling or maybe start a thread asking other members how the dealt with high nitrates in tap water.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
I would say that you are entirely cycled. The ammonia would be way higher. Since false positives for 0.25ppm ammonia are so incredibly common, I would chalk it up to a false positive. It's possible to get 0 nitrates with lava rock. If you can fit some in your filter that's awesome, if not, that's fine too. You can look into a sump filled with anacharis, because that stuff eats up nitrates like nothing else.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Rtessy said:
I would say that you are entirely cycled. The ammonia would be way higher. Since false positives for 0.25ppm ammonia are so incredibly common, I would chalk it up to a false positive. It's possible to get 0 nitrates with lava rock. If you can fit some in your filter that's awesome, if not, that's fine too. You can look into a sump filled with anacharis, because that stuff eats up nitrates like nothing else.
My tap water has 20 ppm in nitrates what should I do about that?

LeBreevee

Rtessy said:
Would it work since the nitrates are in the initial water being used? (high nitrates in tap water) Just because his nitrates are so high.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

Do U guys know where I can buy Cheap aquarium water

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
I mean, I know they have RO (reverse osmosis) water at most petstores typically.

What type of fish do you have other then the oscar and how large is the tank again?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Fredmsi said:
My tap water has 20 ppm in nitrates what should I do about that?
rainbowsprinkles had great success using lava rocks!

LeBreevee said:
Would it work since the nitrates are in the initial water being used? (high nitrates in tap water) Just because his nitrates are so high.
Yes and no. Anacharis can reduce nitrates very quickly, and while it may seem like a good idea not to change the water once the tank hits 0ppm, it's a bad idea. You'll have to change water to bring in lost nutrients, but the anacharis should take care of them. I have not dealt with nitrates in tap water, but most of my tanks are 0/0/0, even a goldfish tank for 7 months.

Fredmsi said:
Spring water is 88¢ a gallon at Walmart, but that gets expensive fast. You could also look into a RO system, that should remove nitrates, but the water would lack essential nutrients and would have to be remineralized

stevieb246

Fredmsi said:
I am useing apI master test kit nitrates and nitrites are showing zero....my tap water dose have Ammonia in it

The ammonia really ain’t that high and I but useing prime.....how much water should I change will that hurt the cycle?
That kit always says my tap has .25 ammonia too. I keep happy, healthy fish. I wouldnt put too much weight on that number.

I can't give any advice on what's making your fish behave that way though.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

88c per gallon I would need like 20 gallons a week?

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
88c per gallon I would need like 20 gallons a week?
Its pretty bad. I would look into an RO system for yourself honestly, its a bit pricey but in the long run it would save you a lot of money.

You most likely could remineralize anything lost in RO more cheaply then you could buying spring water.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

I live in apartments so don’t if I could hook up one of those

LeBreevee

Fredmsi said:
I live in apartments so don’t if I could hook up one of those
There are more then one kind, there are most likely smaller ones. I have never had to mess with RO, so I honestly don’t know how it sets up. I am sorry I am not more of a help on this subject.

OP
Fredmsi

Fredmsi

It’s good thanks for ur help...if I got with the spring water do I still have to put conditioner in it...and how many gallons do I think I need for weekly water changes

New Threads