Oscar & Angelfish

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Kinda sad, went in to get my Oto's and there was a man there 'adopting' a like 7in Oscar for his Angelfish Tank... As they bagged him I said 'Boy you must have a REAAALLY big tank'
    She started netting him out and it was like watching a bad accident, couldn't look away had to keep watching and listening and just ugggh!
    You could tell the the sales associate was against it but still left out certain details and information, possibly to make the sale? I sure feel bad for the Angels that are getting him as new roomie tonight.
    If I worked at a Pet store I would probably never sell any! lol

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Wow. It will be the Angels' worst nightmare.

3. FiscCyning Member Member

Oh those poor Angels. At least the salesperson tried to dissuade him. Some people just refuse to be convinced.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Exactly why I'm so happy I don't have her job, as much joy as you get from sharing fish information and theirs some people that just won't take it. Which is why i'm happy I found this place. Get to share information and experiences and everyone is very open and always directed towards providing the best care and environment for their fish!

5. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Some buyers can't be persuaded, and some sellers can't be persuaded to learn the right information...
    When I bought my Axolotls they insisted that they can be in 75 degree F water constantly, and gravel is great for them...
    No matter what I said... In the nicest possible way, of course.

Poor Angels...

At least the sales associate tried to give them the right information.

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

blusshed I just recently read up on Axolotls, they were so adorable, they look like little aliens or pokemon or something! I wanted one sooo bad that I DIDN'T get one cause I couldn't provide what they needed. Shortly after that I saw another LFS carrying them and it almost made me sad cause their so interesting and impulsive as in, susceptible to being impulse buys cause their so interesting, and when you buy first and research second...not always fun, would feel bad for the Axolotls owner but most of all the Axolotls! Read about their juvenile cannibalism too, More or less asked if they were going to be carrying them regularly they said they were going to try, I hope they don't!

The thought of all those little guys that have been plucked from their home and are sitting in labs. Sad.

Hmmmm thinking happy thoughts!

7. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I think axolotls are officially no longer a species in the wild, sadly.

They are so interesting, and a really cool pet! But they do require research before hand, and sadly people rarely even research fish, let alone an aquatic salamander with specific living conditions...

I'm glad that you've already done a fair amount of research, so if you ever did decide to own one, you know what to expect!

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes that's becoming a sad reality for a lot of fish and other animals, documentaries I see about the oceans horrify me :(
    Since getting into the hobby I've gotten a real perspective for aquatic animals. Everyone says their easier than this, easier than that. And I think their one of the hardest just for the main point of having to recreate or mimic an environment for them. My dog finds refuge in my bed, breathes the same air as me. And that's one thing I always try to keep in mind when keeping fish is to not compromise their environment or their needs. Yes fish are very adaptable but most of all I think they really appreciate consistency. It's given me a greater understand of other things that go on in the world. I use to think water consisted of absolutely nothing, a perfectly clear pure substance. And then a few years back I found Planeria in my tank, that was freakin life changing!! So I definitely encourage sponging up all the information out there and now and days it's almost endless with the internet, but sometimes that can be a curse rather than a blessing. Though on here I don't think I've received bad advice thus far :)

Since we can't see them in their natural environment one of the best rewards is seeing them find comfort and exhibit natural behavior in the home we've created for them :)

9. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I really couldn't agree more. With all of this!

People saying fish are easy are out of their mind. I personally find my puppy easier than my fish. They can't talk, not even whine like a dog or cat can. They really depend on us...

10. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Without knowing the size of tank the oscar is going in, the angels maybe fine. I keep angels with an oscar and some other larger cichlids, and they leave each other alone. Angels are not really shaped to be eaten unless it is by something extremely large. A full grown angel won't fit into an oscars mouth. Oscars are not out to eat everything in the tank. They are more insect eaters than they are fish eaters. Something to consider.