Oryzias Latipes: The wonderful Japanese ricefish! - Page 3

Falena

Hi all!
In the past few months or so I've had the pleasure of raising, keeping and breeding the wonderful Oryzias Latipes, or commonly named Japanese ricefish (Medaka in Japan)
They've quickly become a favourite of mine. Between their hardiness, vast array of colour variation and body type, interesting genetics and cheeky, personable temperaments (Not to mention all of the interesting and beautiful ways people can and do keep them) There's not much I can fault these special little fish for!

I've created this thread to reach out to anyone else who keeps or is planning/interested in keeping these little gems so we can share experiences, pictures, setups, plans and just general chat about the very much underrated and hard to come by Japanese ricefish!

Here are just a few of mine to get this thread off the ground , please feel free to contribute!

Blue Lame juvenile

20201201_200841.jpg
youkihi Juvenile

IMG_20201129_105407_472.jpg
Panda grey juvenile

IMG_20201129_114335_507.jpg
Green Lame juvenile

20201129_113317.jpg
Orochii super black fry

20201212_041530.jpg

MoshJosh

Trying to get my terms right, after some research I think. . .

my "blue sparkles" are just blue lame. . . but as I said above their blue coloration isn't super.

my "orange sparkle" would be orange (or red) lame

My "snow white"s are "miyuki". My reading indicates that term refers to the iridescent "glowing" back when viewed from above, which mine have. My reading also indicated that miyuki can be attributed to white or blue colored fish with the blue color being more desirable.

And my Yuhiki are. . . well yuhiki. . . though to my eye they look a bit like orange/red head clear scale (or a mix of the 2) as seen here Oryzias latipes - Medaka breeding forms - Aquarium Glaser GmbH however I have read that Yohiki should be kept outside in actual sunlight to promote the most vibrant oranges.

any of this sounding right?

Also I took a look at some Japanese fish stores online. . . and DANG there are some crazy ricefish morphs/varieties out there!!! All kinds of colors and fin types. . . blew my mind considering the limited variety I've seen in the states!

Upvote 0

bootleg

Sounds about right I think.

I just get confused when I look at the blue types on different seller's sites. Some of the blue sparkles look almost like pearl white with blue body/eyes and others have like dark lines through them and iridescent backs with sparkles mixed in. Almost seems like its just a bunch of different types that bred together or something and the offspring is all over the place.

I don't even know which qualities are most desirable.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hey MoshJosh we have a pretty limited selection of colours in Australia. Just three that are advertised openly.

bootleg
I am going to work on qualities that are to my liking and breed from individuals that appeal to me first and foremost. Put it this way with the limited colours and limited species I have got to try for more colour.

This is still very much a work in progress, but I got some water in these flower tubs today.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Yeoy

Hey MoshJosh we have a pretty limited selection of colours in Australia. Just three that are advertised openly.

bootleg
I am going to work on qualities that are to my liking and breed from individuals that appeal to me first and foremost. Put it this way with the limited colours and limited species I have got to try for more colour.

This is still very much a work in progress, but I got some water in these flower tubs today.
image.jpg
Cool to see someone down-under breeding these. Not sure if they're my kind of fish but they're absolutely not common here, should be an awesome project!

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

bootleg

image.jpg
Yeah that is sort of my plan as well. I want to refine the lines I have while also mixing and matching traits I like. . . well see how well I do haha.

I really like those flower tubs. Do you have a link to the exact ones you are using? I have been looking for rectangular tubs for a while now.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hey MoshJosh , to keep my wife happy and because these troughs are on the living room side of the house I paid heaps more than if they were around the back of the house. I hope to add any old buckets around the back of the house in the future for raising fry maybe?
These are not designed to hold water.
I got the Winston Trough in the 1 meter size.
Northcote Pottery | The Container Gardening Experts | Pottery, Fountains, Garden Art, Outdoor Furniture

6A25E3E7-0DF3-4E4E-987B-872FEB1A992C.png
image.jpg

Only time will tell if these are any good.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

Those look great though! I have seen similar troughs at Home Depot, though I was worried about their ability to hold water.

I would love to get some of the apple/produce crates but haven't found a great source. I might try some of the sturdier storage totes. . . or maybe cheap coolers. . . I don't know but I feel like my circular porch ponds are really inefficient, they take up to much space for to little water volume.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

Doing a little experiment to see if doubling up these Home Depot totes will make them sturdy enough to function as porch ponds. If so I will be able to replace my 3 circular ponds, taking up the same space but with about 25 more gallons of water:

6104C138-EE63-48B6-9152-0F9E04BBDBA6.jpeg

I’ve used these before for summer tubbing but they had a wooden frame.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

Got some koi/red caps, will try to bread them soon. . . Also made a polycarbonate tank divider:

8A2ACE11-12F2-43FC-A982-C9FA2130B46F.jpeg

AD6C4E64-7358-4151-B4FD-56E131913CD9.jpeg

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

finally have my ones breeding and out into the pond

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

finally have my ones breeding and out into the pond
Awesome video, love the pond, and love the tanks you showed in the video too. Great work!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

An update. It’s probably no surprise to anyone that has kept these fish that I saw a female with eggs yesterday. It’s still early spring down under with the odd frost this week in my state.

As someone who has only kept indoor fish it’s interesting to see how much the water temperature changes between midday and midnight.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
miyuki

Random Great Thread

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom