Ornaments??

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
I found some old sea shells and large pieces of sand dollars while cleaning out my closet. I found these on the beach in Panama City, Fl. years ago. They've been packed away all this time and when I found them I thought they would look great in my aquariums.

My question is this: Will it mess up my water chemistry or harm my fish in any way??? :-\

MaryPa

Reaction score
After time the shell will dissolve in the tank ( very slowly ) and raise the pH a bit but not enough to worry with IMO. The only thing i`d worry about is smaller fish getting stuck in the shell or sick fish hiding in it and dieing without you knowing. If you decide to use them be sure to boil them for about 15 mins.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they would look very pretty. I have some in a couple of mine and haven't noticed any problems. but as MaryPa said be sure to boil them first.
Carol

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Why would the shells dissolve when they come from the ocean? I don't understand that. The few shells I have in there have holes too small for the fish to fit into. I thought it would be a good hiding place for fry if I ever have any. The larger sand-dollar pieces I have standing up like a half moon and the fish look really pretty swimming in front of it. It shows off their color really good.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even in the ocean they dissolve and erode over time. Shouldn't be a problem and will look very nice. can we have pics
Carol

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank You. I look forward to getting a larger 55 gal. so I can make it look even better.

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
HaHaHaHa, you got it!! But my husband say's I can only have two tanks. I told him I must have a hospital/quarantine tank, lol. I promised my mother-in-law I'd give her whichever tank I didn't decide to keep running.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom