Ornaments

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fish Girl, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Fish GirlNew MemberMember

It's me again, I'm afraid. Thanks for your advice so far. It has made me decide to definitely get a gravel vac and some plants for my tank. Question number...er...I've kind of lost count ::) Anyway, it's: do I need lots of ornaments in my 8 gallon tank to provide hiding places for the fish? So far all I have are some pretty rocks. Ta :)

2. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

It is a matter of opinion of course but I really think plants provide more of a natural habitat and give them more hiding places around your rocks than toys or other decor. Unless you are going to use real plants (much preferred), just make sure they are very soft and do not have stickers especially if you plan to have fish with long fins like Bettas. Fins can be torn very easily on plastic plants when they are stickery.

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The decor in your tank is completely up to you as long as its safe. The fish doesn't care what it looks like as long as some basic needs are met, such as a place to rest and maybe a place to be out of the public eye for a bit. Hope that helps.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    F

Fish GirlNew MemberMember

It does, thanks :)

5. grottosandfinsNew MemberMember

I like the natural look. I design and make rocks with caves if you have any cave dwellers just for that reason. The problem is, an 8 gallon tank does not allow much room for ornaments. Drop by my web site anyway and you can always contact me for advice at  . My web site is   Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice