Ornamental Macro Algae And Soft Coral Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by Tony_097, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Tony_097

Tony_097 Valued Member Member

I got a clean slate considering coral etc. With a 40 g tank i got set up i was thinking have any members tried a macro algae and soft coral tank?

My livestock in the 40 g includes a pair of common clowns a yellow watchman goby 4 chromis and the clean up crew(mexican turbo snails,nassaurius snail,dwarf blue legged hermit crabs) if any of you guys or girls have tried this how have you managed to make

sure nuisciance alage didn't out compete the macro algae?

2. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Ugh... my favorite macroalgae expert hasn't been around much lately, but I'll tag him in case he has time to check in soon. @Lorekeeper

That said, individual species will, of course, have their own needs. Some actually calcify to some extent, so need calcium levels maintained very well. Research their lighting and supplement needs, and if you can provide the right environment to fulfill their needs, the macroalgae should outcompete most nuisance algae. Unlike a reef tank, you won't really look to provide ultra-low nutrients, but just the right amount so plants can use it, without so much leftover for algae. I'd certainly suggest starting with known fast growers, so as to get a jumpstart on that growth instead of algae growth.

I love planted marine tanks, and honestly wish I could give you more than just the general information. There are lots of good build threads online, though, unfortunately, not here that I've seen. You should have no trouble finding some good examples to follow though.

If I may, I'd ask that you please do a build thread for this tank here. :) I'd very much enjoy watching and I'm sure many here would be glad to learn from your experience. :)

Edit: Oh yeah! I just remembered someone else knows all about macros. Calling @KinsKicks :p

3. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

I already have a colony of sea lettuce given to me for in exchange for a bundle of chateo i been reaserching the diffrent type of macros for softies i will most likley add zoanthinds gorgonians(not the nps) something nothing overly invasive i made this thread so the sw in here could see since the planted aqaurims are rare

4. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

Not alot of lfs have macros (except chateo) so ordering online will be key. Has any one gotten macros from algae barn im reluctant to buy from live aquaria beacuse ive only gotten "special extra presents" from them

5. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

No, I haven't gotten any myself, but I do follow the reef scene online pretty heavily, lol, and Algae Barn has a very good reputation, as does Reef Cleaners. The really great thing about Algae Barn is that they guarantee pest free chaetomorpha... so perhaps this extends to other varieties of macroalgae as well.

@Lorekeeper recently had a pretty bad experience with another vendor, and I cannot remember who it was but would advise finding his salty thread so you know who to avoid.;)

6. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

Thanks i will need to look into that thread

7. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

There are so many cool macro-algaes to try! But so many come with challenges... Assorted Calurpa's can grow really fast and put anchors into rock that are incredibly difficult to remove, but you are in CA so Calurpa's are illegal anyway.

Octodes are a pretty purple/blue algae, but they put these anchors into rocks/corals that are nearly impossible to remove. We ended up trying to use a pick to get them out of corals, but didn't succeed! Also, it is very brittle so it breaks off pieces very easily, and the older growth turns brown... the new growth is what is the pretty purple/blue.

My favorite we had was a red bush algae that i could never find the scientific name for. When it grows out, it looks so cool!  

All macro-algae acquisitions have been volunteers from coral frags we purchased, and we got several not so good ones! Turf algae, unidentified red leaf like algae that stayed short and covered the rocks and when taken out of the water released something that would smell and give me a head ache, grape calurpa, some type of green hair algae, and so on. The worst was that unidentified red one!

With hard algaes like mermaid's fan and halimeda when my husband was on top of dosing, the mermaids fan was growing really well, but as soon as that got off schedule it slowly succumbed. These types seem to be touchy IME.

8. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

9. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

Any tips on which light i should use i recently got some sea lettuce coming in all thats left is a light should i go with a kessil a160we or would that be an overkill

10. d

dbjonesjr Valued Member Member

I think it is a little overkill but I’m cheap so if you’re okay with spending the money I’d say go for it!

11. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

I trust both kessil and the chinese black boxes since i have gotten result with both. Anyone have a recomended light ?

12. d

dbjonesjr Valued Member Member

I am a fan of black boxes you just lost controllability!

13. OP
    OP
    Tony_097

For softies how do gsp xenias and zoanthinds sound i might go with only one hamerhead for lps i have sevral rock islands in my tank to use so im not worried about real esate for the macros

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice