Ordering Fish Tips

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Esimm03, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Hi,
    So today I sent off for my first fish in the post, I've orderd snails before but I was wondering what do I do when he arrives?, Do I float him and acclimatise him like getting him in from the store or is there more I need to do?

He is a betta.

Thanks,
    Ethan

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

Hi there! Yes, a good start would be to float him, maybe turn off your light as well since he will have been in pitch black for a while it might stress him out to be shoved under a light. Once the temp has acclimated I would open the bag and start adding a little water from your aquarium every few minutes just to get him used to the parameters of your water.

Once you have added enough water over time to say double the volume of water in the bag (so now its a 50/50 mix of bag water and tank water) I would net him (or gently grab him - I try not to use nets on my betas since it can damage their fins) and put him in the tank. Dont add any of the water from the bag to the tank.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yeah just do the same. If he has been in the bag for a long time you may want to acclimatize him faster than normal to get him out of the ammonia.

4. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Hi,

I purchased him today and he is being shipped 24 hour royal mail.

He's coming in a week as I'm going away. He's coming with a heat pack, will he be ok if it goes cold?

Thanks,
    Ethan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice