Question Ordering fish in bulk online

bermese2002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I'm not sure I'm posting this to the right place, but I'm not sure where else this topic would fit.

I'm currently planning the restock of my tank. Due to having a 5 month old, I'm finding it difficult to find time to visit my local LFS and look at the fish there, so I was considering ordering my new fish online.

But the place I'm looking at the order them (Tropco UK) has a delivery fee of £14.95 regardless of how many fish you order, and an additional £5 fee if you order fish under £5 total. So I'd want to order all my fish at once to make it cost effective really.

The fish I have currently:

20 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Bristlenose Plec

The fish I plan on buying:

5 Platy
1 Angelfish
15 Kuhli Loach

So my question is: Is it a terrible idea to order all my new fish at once? If I were to order them all at once, what can I do to help the tank cope, apart from daily water changes?

I don't have the option of a quarantine tank, so they'll all be introduced to my main tank when they arrive. Already know this is a terrible idea, but I don't have a choice.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd be very leery of ordering that many fish at once without a QT tank to put them in...could you temporarily recruit a storage bin to serve that purpose? I've managed to repeatedly infect my tanks with ich by neglecting to quarantine the newcomers, and I've also had a columnaris outbreak that had arrived on some pearl danios I failed to quarantine wipe out half of my fish in a 29 gallon within a few days, as well as most of my mother's fish in her 30 gallon tall (the danios were split between our tanks).

bermese2002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I could potentially set up a tub actually. That's a good idea. I've already got a spare filter and heater.

If I set up the quarantine. Would I then add the fish to the main tank slowly, or once I know they're healthy can I add them all at once?

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would quarantine them for 3-4 weeks, then add the fish in a couple waves over 2-3 weeks...I do not know how large your tank is, but your planned additions are substantial and would be a major strain on the filter if added all at once in most tanks.

bermese2002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank is 60g, but yes, I agree it would be a big strain to add them all at once.

If I could get to the LFS easily enough then I would, but it's such a pain, and I can get better choices online anyway.

Would a 60L quarantine be big enough?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom