Ordering African Dwarf Frogs Online?

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi there! one of my adfs died about a month ago from dropsy and my remaining adf seems very lonely and antisocial (i just want another active frog, ok). i know they do better when they're not alone anyhow.

however, my two attempts at getting a new frog from petsmart (where i got the first two) have failed. the first one i never should have gotten anyway, she was already sick, and the second one that i got from a different petsmart was very active at first in the holding tank but then died three days later.

because i don't want to try getting frogs from petsmart or petco again (the water is nasty and there are always dead frogs in the tank, they hold them with fish, they feed them rubbish and they swallow gravel etc.), i was wondering if anyone had any experience with buying adfs online? i figure it might be better to get an adf directly from a source, but i'm worried about the stress of shipping etc. plus you can't see the frog before you buy it. :/ i really want a female for my male frog, too, but i don't know if ordering online lets you choose gender.

tl;dr: has anyone had any good experience with ordering african dwarf frogs online, like were they healthy, did they live, or was it a bust.

i looked into some of the first results that popped up on google:

petzonesd.com
aquariumfish.net

thank you!

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I so far have only used liveaquaria for my fish and everything arrived healthy and they usually do next day or two day shipping which helps minimize stress. As for liveaquaria I don't know if you can ask for a specific gender but it is sometimes a selection when ordering. Hopefully someone can add on to this with more experience with recieving frogs instead of fish.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
spike98 said:
I so far have only used liveaquaria for my fish and everything arrived healthy and they usually do next day or two day shipping which helps minimize stress. As for liveaquaria I don't know if you can ask for a specific gender but it is sometimes a selection when ordering. Hopefully someone can add on to this with more experience with recieving frogs instead of fish.
thank you! i've heard good things about that site. i think someone recently ordered some frogs from there, so i might contact them to see how they're doing so far.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
75g Discus Tank said:
A lot of frogs have the chytrid fungus which will kill them.

I would ask the supplier if they have been checked for it.
that's true. is there actually a way to test for the fungus? i think they just have to be quarantined for 3 months, and if they survive, then they probably don't have it. if i end up ordering them i'll see if i can ask how long they've had the frogs and if they've taken necessary precautions.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ms rose said:
i got mine from ebay and he is perfect. and very healthy. its all in the pic of the draw
thank you!! i'm glad he's healthy how long have you had him?
i saw a seller on ebay, but they were selling 2 frogs, not one. unfortunately it looks like my remaining frog might have dropsy as well, so i could be needing 2 new ones after all. :/

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes it was buy 2 get one free, or 1 for 15 free shipping. i just got the one, wish i did the 2/3 . im out of town but i will look up seller when i get back home. i would recommend this seller for sure

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom