Ordered Fish Online, Online Store Has High Ph

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by masonv6, Apr 24, 2017.

1. m

masonv6 New Member Member

I ordered my fish online and will be arriving in a couple days. I just found out there water ph is 8.1 - 8.4. I've been keeping my tank around 7.2 - 7.4. I use ro water and mixing equilibrium and alkaline buffer and acid buffer. Kh and gh is 4.
    I ordered angelfish , rams, tetras. So that's why I have been aiming for the ph I have in the tank now.
    My question is what should I am for. I have (2) 30 gal trash cans filled with unmixed ro right now for a water change before they arrive. I was a little shocked to here their ph was so high.
    Should I aim for around a 7.8 and over time with water changes lower it down. Some ppl say rams will not last with a high ph , other say their fine.
    Amy thoughts on what I should do would be cool. I will be doing the water change tomorrow

Sorry for the destroyed spelling of some words , using phone right now

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

If you slowly bring the water they come in down to your PH using the drip method they should be fine.

3. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

Do not drip shipped fish. Especially with that much ph difference.

Simply open shipping bags, net the fish and put thrm in your aquarium.

Fish do much better going from higher ph to low. The other way around is more difficult but drip acclimating will poison them in the bag.

4. Nanologist

Okay, figured the drastic change would be much more shocking. I suppose the water they're shipped in gets pretty horrible though.

5. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I would float the bag for a little while to let the temps match first.

6. Nanologist

Do you have any fish currently in the tank?

7. justinmo

justinmo Valued Member Member

I would float the fish to match temperature and immediately put them in.

8. Tiny_Tanganyikans

As long as temp is close its fine. I never float unless its winter time and the water temp is significantly lower.

Floating is fine though, but fish should be out of the bag within 10 minutes of its opening. 20 tops. After that you're risking poisoning your fish

9. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

In my experience over the past 15+ years:

Drop and flop: 1 death out of 1.
    Drip: 0 deaths of out ~60.

I used RO/DI water back then and I had to drip acclimate fish because going from higher to lower salinity is more dangerous than the other way around.

10. Heather L

Heather L Valued Member Member

Not questioning you at all, but curious as to why drip acclimating would poison them? Also, very thankful I just read this post, I would have poisoned my fish

11. Tiny_Tanganyikans

When you drip acclimate the water chemistry in the bag starts to change rapidly and shipped fish generally have an excess amount of waste in the bag and when the pH swings like that it can make the ammonia and nitrite rise significantly and will be extremely toxic

12. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Sorry to jump in but I thought you weren't supposed to float shipping bags??? I have some fish being mailed next week and I don't want to kill the poor things either.

13. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Same here, I thought we were supposed to float to let temps equalize then open bags and scoop fish out and right into the tank. Is that right, I'll be ordering fish later this week myself.

14. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

If I remember correctly, the reason people recommend not to drip acclimate shipped fish is because:

While in the bags, they breathe and produce CO2.
    Co2 lowers the ph of the water in the bag.
    Fish produce ammonia.
    At a low ph due to the Co2, ammonia is much less toxic, but...
    When you open the bag, Co2 leaves the bag and is replaced with oxygen, which rapidly drives the ph up.
    The ammonia is now in its toxic form because ph is most likely above 7 now.

I've also seen people say this isn't a problem because you can simply condition the water with a product such as seachem Prime to neutralize the ammonia upon opening.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Heather L

Heather L Valued Member Member

Thank you!

I'm new to the hobby and trying to learn as much as I can.

So, if I bring a fish home from my LFS I drip acclimate, and if I receive a fish in the mail I float.

When moving from quarantine to my 55 gl I drip?

Is this right?

16. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Simply put a piece of Poly Filter in the bag, it'll mop up that ammonia, giving you time to do what you need to. 57fcc40e0bb28e7a0dbff0e358ad5901.jpg e98ba0d9f34373d9884f025afd112dfd.jpg

17. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

When I have fish shipped I generally have the opposite problem. I have a high pH (8.2), and the fish are in much lower, usually mid 7. I set up an acclimation tub(Rubbermaid) with heater and air stone. I use water with a similar ph to what they came from (I use bottled spring water with a ph of 7.5) When I receive the fish I float for temp. Then net them to the tub. Then every 15 minutes I add a scoop of tank water until the ph is the same as my tank. Starting with 10 fish and 7 gallons this took me 3 hours. When the tub is the same ph as my tank, I scoop them right over. 1 angelfish, 9 cories, 5 mystery snails, 0 casualties. Just another idea to put out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice