Ordered Dwarf Baby Tear mats but not sure how to plant it!

Carpio

Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at a planted aquarium and aquascape. I realize after watching more videos that I may have gone backward in the order of how I'm doing things. Well, what's done is done. My tank is cycled and now the mats that I ordered way back just came in. Honestly, they are amazing! I'm really impressed with them!

So... how do I plant them? I cut them in half and took out the straw mat that they were on to expose the roots. I left them on the wire mesh and put them directly on the substrate. Is this ok? Every video I see says you should break them up and plant them a few inches apart all over your tank. Is it ok to leave them on the wire mesh? Totally lost on what to do.

I'm trying not to panic haha!

I have pressurized CO2 and 2 LED light strips that SAY they are "Full Spectrum" but who knows. My CO2 drop checker is green. My water tests within acceptable ranges. Just worried about these carpets!

Any advice?

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

MrBryan723

Yes you can leave them on the mesh. The main reason people say to spread them out is so they can fill back in and carper a larger region faster or if they are root bound. I don't figure yours have that issue. You should just be able to put the root side down on the substrate and maybe place a small rock to keep it in place if needed. Don't be surprised if you get some melt and some losses

Upvote 0

Carpio

Thanks so much, MrBryan723 ! That is really helpful! You rock! I do have another question about the straw looking stuff on the bottom of the mats. One of them I couldn't really pull off because the roots went all the way through it. So I put it into the tank. Will that stuff screw up my water?

Upvote 0

Carpio

Found out the straw-like fiber was actually coconut fiber. I'll post a new question about it! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dan Wolf
Replies
Views
Cyclsnipas
Replies
Views
ilovefrogs
Replies