ordered a new tank!

aj16hp

Reaction score
HI after some discussions with my friend,we've settled on a freshwater tank..Beyond feeding, it will be me who will do the chores..

I ordered a Hex 60 Black 13 Gal (60L)..I prefer the higher tanks and its also more convenient..Now I have to start reading up and also consider what fish!!

The main concern is not having babies, I'm not up to that yet! are there any fish which should only be kept with a mate etc? I'm really clueless as you can tell!
Ive read a few threads and the cherry barbs seem to be very popular! If I mention numbers its only out of concern for there safety, I'm not concerned about how many fish I can squeeze in..
Andy

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just be sure you run the tank through the Nitrogen Cycle and have it completely ready for any fish you may choose. I know that it is hard to wait for your fish, but they are not only pets but an investment and if the tank is not cycled and prepared for them, their lives will be shortened if not snuffed out by the poor tank conditions that they will have to live in.

Of course you can always start the tank with Bio-spira and start with a light load right away after adding it.

The very first thing I think we need to have you do if you have not already is to read up on the Nitrogen Cycle process and I will also supply the link for the purchase of Bio-spira but you can also take the time that it takes to cycle the tank to read and get to know about the fish that you want. Sometimes the education about them is the best gift you can give yourself in trying to set the tank up and it does sound like you are starting out with a fine attitude.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. If I am being too cautious with you please forgive me as I do not know how much experience you have and whether you have done a lot of homework or are just now looking into it.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm We definitely recommend the Fishless Cycle if you decide to allow the tank to cycle naturally, but please do not let yourself by conned into buying Cycle, Bio-zyme, StressZyme or any other "cycle accelerator". The only people who benefit from your use of those products are the manufacturers and vendors of the products.
Bio-spira is the ONLY product that is proven to accomplish a cycle that is stable and accelerated.

For a tank the size of yours, if you decide to go with the Bio-spira, you would need the one ounce size of Freshwater type Bio-spira. Shipping costs are going to be high whereever you buy it unless you can find it at a local PetSmart or other large store. It has to be kept refrigerated until used so if someone tries to give you something off the shelf, that is NOT it.

I do hope I have been of help.

Rose

OP
A

aj16hp

Reaction score
HI Rose thks for the advice! I'm not looking at stocking it with fish for a while..Its my friends Xmas present,so maybe add fish 3-4 weeks after Christmas day?..
We were considering salt water, but now settled on freshwater..I mention in a different thread due to my friends disability I will be doing the chores, so just doing my home work at present...
As far as the fish questions, just wanted to get some ideas (out of interest he likes small bright fish)..

I will read the links later,but when you mention Bio-spira is that info only if I don't cycle naturally??I will do a natural cycle though that seems best!

heres what comes with the tank

Hood also incorporates silent water pump with advanced 2 stage Filtration System: Mechanical & Biological, utlilising sponge & bio rings (all supplied) in the filter compartment

thks for ur reply
andy

OP
A

aj16hp

Reaction score
Hi, how well do Neon Tetra & Cherry Barb get along ? If they mix well,how many would you recommend of each..Beyond the Neon's and Cherry's could I have anything else in  that size tank?
One online store I wrote to said I could have up to 20 small fish in 25l ,and as i'm buying the 60l i'm a little confused by there answer (20 seems a lot in 25l)..
thks for advice
andy

ps just looked at the male guppies there very nice to, so I think i'm considering Neon Tetra,Cherry Barbs and male Guppies  for a 60 L tank

New Threads