Order in which to stock? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I've looked everywhere for the order in which to stock fish. I did see not to add algae eaters until last because new tanks don't have enough algae. (Makes sense) That's what got me wondering. So which order do you add fish? Angels compared to Rams? Gourami? Everyone tells you how many and what's compatable but not which order to add each fish. Can anyone help? I want an Angle, a pair of Rams and maybe a Honey Gourami.

2. Rm2011 Initiate Member

This depends, has your tank been cycled already?

If not, then you would want to add the hardier breeds to ensure they can survive the possible ammonia and nitrite spikes.

If it has, I don't think it really matters. I would personally add the more territorial fish first, so they can establish the areas they claim as theirs. I don't have much experience with this though, so I would wait for someone a little more experienced to reply. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. TJBender Well Known Member Member

The general rule is to go from least-territorial to most-territorial over the course of a few days. What size of tank are you looking at for that stock? I'd recommend at least 30 gallons, maybe 40 as angels and rams can both be territorial. I suppose HGs could as well, but they're pretty chill about everything.

I'd stock the HG first, then the rams, then the angel.

4. Rm2011 Initiate Member

And this was exactly why I said to wait for someone more experience to reply, lol. I was completely backwards. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

It really depends on what you want to stock honestly. Some fish need a tank that has been running for a while, some can handle a new tank. Do you have a list in mind?

6. TJBender Well Known Member Member

We were all new once. The problem with adding the most territorial first is that they'll do exactly as you said--claim their territory first. Without any other inhabitants in the tank, they'll claim the whole thing and view any new fish as intruders on their turf. If the more laid-back fish are added first, they have a chance to swim around and establish loose territories of their own, which tells the angel immediately upon being added that he's not the boss of the whole tank, and he's likely to be a little bit more mellow.

Rams, a HG and an angel would make great tank mates by my (probably flawed) logic, as rams tend to claim turf on the bottom of the tank, angels generally stay at the mid to upper levels because of their finnage, and HGs really don't seem to care about territory in my experience. I might be mistaken, though, as that's the product of about 30 seconds worth of thought on how each fish operates.

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

LOL It's OK but you did go off on Cycling. I always see where someone asks a question, maybe for future reference but the answers never answer the original question because they get hung up on numbers or compatability. I'm still asking about weather LED lights are brighter than plant/aquarium lights. Was told about CFL but not answered yet. Welcome aboard. This is one of the best sites I've found. If you have any questions they'll answer pretty fast.

Angels and GBR

8. TJBender Well Known Member Member

I have a few tanks with LED lights and a few tanks with CFL. The CFLs are definitely much brighter. I haven't used any iridescent lights since, oh, I don't know, a week after setting up my current tanks? They were definitely not as bright as the CFLs. If I still have one laying around, I'll hook it up to a CFL hood and see how it looks as compared to LED. Big if as to whether I have one, though.

9. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I do agree with both of the posts about going from least territorial to increased, and with from fish who don't mind new tanks to those who prefer older ones, I would still, the others being equal, go from least to more bioload, just so as to allow your filter to keep up; remember, a cycled tank is a constantly moving target, altering with any change in bioload.--Best to you, rick
    That said, I fully agree with Witchydesign and TJBender, both of whom make great points. Still, Witchydesign gets the nod as the name sounds like a group I would have listened to some, odd (my odd years, I mean), years ago:)-----------best to you, rick.

10. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Lol ric :p

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Is the tank established? I wouldn't recommend adding GBR's until the tank has been cycled for about 6 months. They're very sensitive and need established tanks to survive. I tried... And failed to add them straight after the cycle.xxx