Orchids Anyone?

nikkimay456
I love orchids! I had 30 to 40 of them that I've collected these past few years, but I couldn't get rid of spider mites for around six months so I ended up sadly pitching all of them and starting new. Now I have about ten.
20180522_202639.jpg

Does anybody else have orchids? Pics?

DutchAquarium
Don't have a camera for pictures, but I always favor a miltonia or a Grammatophyllum. I have a few varieties of both of these. Did you try soapy water for the mites?

nikkimay456
Don't have a camera for pictures, but I always favor a miltonia or a Grammatophyllum. I have a few varieties of both of these. Did you try soapy water for the mites?

oh cool! I got more into paphiopedilums and phragmipediums. My favorite is a phrag hybrid called Don Wimber. My collection was made up of mostly phalaenopsis, paphiopedilum, and phragmipedium orchids so I couldn't treat the mites with a liquid because all of these types of orchid will get crown rot and probably die if water or a liquid gets into the crests of the leaves or middle of the plant. Have you ever used cinnamon as a fungicide? Is grammatophyllum a cymbidium? I tend to have trouble getting cymbidium orchids to rebloom. I had a couple of vandas too but I threw everything out even though the vandas can get liquid anywhere on them. I had a really big and pretty indigo one called pakchong blue. Have you ever watched miss orchid girl videos on youtube? Check her out if you haven't! I'm sorry for rambling!!

JLeeM
Aren't orchids really hard to keep alive?

nikkimay456
Aren't orchids really hard to keep alive?

nope! I heard that before I started with orchids, but you just have to know a couple of details and they're not hard to care for at all. people usually start with phalaenopsis orchids, as these are most commonly seen in stores. with phalaenopsis orchids, you just have to water the plant by soaking its root system in water. so usually when you buy them, they come in a pot with a plastic liner inside. you just take the liner out, fill the pot just over half full, and put your orchid in it for 15 min. then after that, set your orchid on a plate to drain and after an hour or so, pop it back in it's (empty) pot. Water once every 1-2 weeks. It's important not to get water into the crests of the leaves or middle of the plant with these kinds of orchids, because the plant will likely rot and die if you do. when your orchid's blooms fall off, it is not dead! keep it and continue to water it, and it will bloom for you again within the next year or so. Phalanopsis orchids tend to be winter bloomers. there are many other types of orchids, but for a variety, you have to go to an orchid grower's greenhouse or an orchid show. Orchids are the largest plant family in the world with over 25,000 species! They're pretty neat!

JLeeM
nope! I heard that before I started with orchids, but you just have to know a couple of details and they're not hard to care for at all. people usually start with phalaenopsis orchids, as these are most commonly seen in stores. with phalaenopsis orchids, you just have to water the plant by soaking its root system in water. so usually when you buy them, they come in a pot with a plastic liner inside. you just take the liner out, fill the pot just over half full, and put your orchid in it for 15 min. then after that, set your orchid on a plate to drain and after an hour or so, pop it back in it's (empty) pot. Water once every 1-2 weeks. It's important not to get water into the crests of the leaves or middle of the plant with these kinds of orchids, because the plant will likely rot and die if you do. when your orchid's blooms fall off, it is not dead! keep it and continue to water it, and it will bloom for you again within the next year or so. Phalanopsis orchids tend to be winter bloomers. there are many other types of orchids, but for a variety, you have to go to an orchid grower's greenhouse or an orchid show. Orchids are the largest plant family in the world with over 25,000 species! They're pretty neat!
So.....you don't keep it in the dirt?

nikkimay456

not at all! orchid roots (for more common types anyway) will rot if kept in soil. they should be kept in a bark mix. Miracle grow has an orchid mix that you can buy in the garden section at meijer. but if repotting, be sure to watch a video on youtube beforehand. if you're interested in growing orchids or learning more, check out the links below or reply or shoot me a message anytime (if that's an option on here... I just signed up a day or two ago)

Jellibeen
Thanks for the info! I have afew orchids, though some are surprise bog orchids that appeared in my pitcher plants. I have one my partner got me that I am guessing is a phalaenopsis orchid since it is from a store. The directions said to give it a few ice cubes every week. Should I do what you said, removing the plant and soaking it instead?

Here are some pictures of my bog orchids. I’m not sure what kind they are.

Attachments

• 44901251-0CD1-4624-82E4-1FAE2206A22A.jpeg
    44901251-0CD1-4624-82E4-1FAE2206A22A.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 1F5A16E6-5B27-4504-8D0B-91C46C488999.jpeg
    1F5A16E6-5B27-4504-8D0B-91C46C488999.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 70ED5A85-71CD-46C5-A8EF-1871FD77BDB2.jpeg
    70ED5A85-71CD-46C5-A8EF-1871FD77BDB2.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 122
smee82
I love orchids but they never ever reflower for me

PhillyKev
I love orchids but they never ever reflower for me
Do you keep them in direct sun? We had one in a window with direct light that wouldn't bloom. My daughter adopted the bare stick , put it below her window where it never gets direct sun on it bit plenty of indirect light and it bloomed beautifully and has thrived ever since.

smee82
Do you keep them in direct sun? We had one in a window with direct light that wouldn't bloom. My daughter adopted the bare stick , put it below her window where it never gets direct sun on it bit plenty of indirect light and it bloomed beautifully and has thrived ever since.

Tried direct a and indirect sun but ive given up on orchids for now. The rest of my plants are doing good though.

Tsin21

not at all! orchid roots (for more common types anyway) will rot if kept in soil. they should be kept in a bark mix. Miracle grow has an orchid mix that you can buy in the garden section at meijer. but if repotting, be sure to watch a video on youtube beforehand. if you're interested in growing orchids or learning more, check out the links below or reply or shoot me a message anytime (if that's an option on here... I just signed up a day or two ago)

My experience with orchids was many years ago, back when I was at my hometown. My mom's the one who's keeping orchids, though I'm also helping her when replanting the shoots and daily care. For ephipytes, we usually just cover portion of the main stem with coconut husk then tie them to a tree branch and sometimes we place them on pots with large chunks of charcoal; the terrestrial ones we plant in soil. The kinds that we kept are Phalaenopsis aphrodite, Vanda sanderiana, Cymbidium bicolor, various dendrobium, cattleya, oncidium and spathoglottis (terrestrial).

nikkimay456
Here are some pictures of my bog orchids. I’m not sure what kind they are.
Wow those are so cool!

My experience with orchids was many years ago, back when I was at my hometown. My mom's the one who's keeping orchids, though I'm also helping her when replanting the shoots and daily care. For ephipytes, we usually just cover portion of the main stem with coconut husk then tie them to a tree branch and sometimes we place them on pots with large chunks of charcoal; the terrestrial ones we plant in soil. The kinds that we kept are Phalaenopsis aphrodite, Vanda sanderiana, Cymbidium bicolor, various dendrobium, cattleya, oncidium and spathoglottis (terrestrial).
Depending on the orchid, there are a lot of ways to grow them. I grow vandas bare root but water in a half strength fertilizer. oncidiums I do a 50/50 sphagnum/bark mix, dendrobiums I just do bark and coconut husk but water often. Phals I do miracle grow orchid mix. One of my dendrobiums has 4 keikis on it right now! Vandas are my favorite though. I don't have much experience growing terrestrial orchids, but my grandpa has several in his flowers beds here in michigan that bloom every spring! Do you grow orchids outdoors too then? My grandpa says they like acidic soil. What climate is your hometown in?

Tried direct a and indirect sun but ive given up on orchids for now. The rest of my plants are doing good though.
I keep all of my orchids in windows. In the winter I leave a full spectrum light on them a few hours a day. I honestly don't pay much attention to what direction the windows they're in face though. I tend to find a slider door and park em there. Best of luck to you in your future orchid days! Maybe someone will puck one up as a gift for you.

Thanks for the info! I have afew orchids, though some are surprise bog orchids that appeared in my pitcher plants. I have one my partner got me that I am guessing is a phalaenopsis orchid since it is from a store. The directions said to give it a few ice cubes every week. Should I do what you said, removing the plant and soaking it instead?
Yes yes remove and soak. They say water with ice cubes on a lot of them because removing and soaking makes you more apt to get water in the crown of the plant, but also keeps the roots all watered instead of just where the ice melts

Jellibeen
Yes yes remove and soak. They say water with ice cubes on a lot of them because removing and soaking makes you more apt to get water in the crown of the plant, but also keeps the roots all watered instead of just where the ice melts
Can you elaborate a little on getting water in the crown of the plant? I'm not quite sure what that means and I don't want to mess up my pretty plants! Do you use any special water, like RO water, or is filtered okay? I keep rain or RO water around for the carnivores so it would be no issue to use that if it is better.

I realized I should watch the videos you posted before asking a bunch of questions. I did and learned my own answers!

nikkimay456
I realized I should watch the videos you posted before asking a bunch of questions. I did and learned my own answers!
Orchids can be both sensitive and hardy all at the same time

Tsin21
Depending on the orchid, there are a lot of ways to grow them. I grow vandas bare root but water in a half strength fertilizer. oncidiums I do a 50/50 sphagnum/bark mix, dendrobiums I just do bark and coconut husk but water often. Phals I do miracle grow orchid mix. One of my dendrobiums has 4 keikis on it right now! Vandas are my favorite though. I don't have much experience growing terrestrial orchids, but my grandpa has several in his flowers beds here in michigan that bloom every spring! Do you grow orchids outdoors too then? My grandpa says they like acidic soil. What climate is your hometown in?
Yes, we usually grow them outdoors under tree shade or under netting. And I'm from the Philippines by the way where the climate in our place is rainy for half of the year and dry the other. I have no idea if our soil was acidic or not and the terrestrial type we used to keep is a native species.

nikkimay456
Yes, we usually grow them outdoors under tree shade or under netting. And I'm from the Philippines by the way where the climate in our place is rainy for half of the year and dry the other. I have no idea if our soil was acidic or not and the terrestrial type we used to keep is a native species.
How cool! I rent apartments usually and it snows here in michigan a lot so I have limited options for growing outdoors. I am jealous!

Jellibeen
I got the right kind of pot and am giving my orchid a soak today!
I am happy to be able to take good care of her.

goldface
No, but maybe I should get one. I always thought they were throwaways, to be honest.

I have 3 snakeplants, however, and they’re awesome, especially since I live in the city. They’re supposed to be one of the best air cleaners. Mine grow nice, tall, and healthy from watering them with fish tank water. I set them outside when it rains on occasion to clean the leaves of dust.

Would gritty mix work for orchids? It’s all I use. I’m never going back to soil, if given the choice.

stella1979
I don't know nearly as much about orchids as I'd like to, but I do love them. I had a little collection of Oncidiums, Vandas, Phalaenopsis and Cattleyas many years ago, but nothing in the recent past. I live in South Florida, so I have no excuse not to start again with these easy beauties. They will grow on trees around here after all. So, I just got back from here...

RF Orchids Store

With two baby Cattleyas, (no blooms), and one small Phalaenopsis in bloom. I'll be posting my own thread about it since I have so many pics of this beautiful place to share.

scarface Orchids like a really chunky mix. I use clay balls, charcoal, and sphagnum mixed, with styrofoam cubes at the bottom for really good draining. Lots of orchids come with wood chips mixed in with the substrate, and that's another option, but the stuff rots quickly and needs replacing often.

nikkimay456
I don't know nearly as much about orchids as I'd like to, but I do love them. I had a little collection of Oncidiums, Vandas, Phalaenopsis and Cattleyas many years ago, but nothing in the recent past. I live in South Florida, so I have no excuse not to start again with these easy beauties. They will grow on trees around here after all. So, I just got back from here...

RF Orchids Store

With two baby Cattleyas, (no blooms), and one small Phalaenopsis in bloom. I'll be posting my own thread about it since I have so many pics of this beautiful place to share.

scarface Orchids like a really chunky mix. I use clay balls, charcoal, and sphagnum mixed, with styrofoam cubes at the bottom for really good draining. Lots of orchids come with wood chips mixed in with the substrate, and that's another option, but the stuff rots quickly and needs replacing often.
I'm excited for you. Orchids can be a lit of fun! It sounds like you have a pretty food idea of how to care for them. Best of luck with your new babies!

stella1979
Thank you! I looked to the gardening forum to make a thread about orchids and was pleasantly surprised to see this thread right at the top of the list. I wrote another thread though because I was there was so much to say and lots of pics, so I didn't want to hijack your thread.

I haven't even heard of some of the varieties mentioned here, so I'm very excited to be here and learn about your collection as well.

nikkimay456
No, but maybe I should get one. I always thought they were throwaways, to be honest.

I have 3 snakeplants, however, and they’re awesome, especially since I live in the city. They’re supposed to be one of the best air cleaners. Mine grow nice, tall, and healthy from watering them with fish tank water. I set them outside when it rains on occasion to clean the leaves of dust.

Would gritty mix work for orchids? It’s all I use. I’m never going back to soil, if given the choice.

Snake plants are really cool. Mine get fish water too My snake plant is putting off a bloom stalk right now!

What do you mean by gritty mix? The key with most orchid potting mediums is to have lots of spaces with air so the water drains and the roots don't suffocate. Bark is a great option for this. For the most common orchids, phalaenopsis, miracle grow has an orchid mix that you can find in the garden section of most stores. Cocomut husk doesn't break down as quickly, and you can also use clay pellets. Some orchids that require a little more moisture than phalaenopsis (oncidiums for example) do well in a mix that has a lot of sphagnum moss in it. But most orchids won't do well in regular potting soil.

RF Orchids Store

Getting new orchids is always exciting! It's great that you're getting back to growing orchids again! Where I live, it snows, so very few (some terrestrial orchids) can go outside. I would love to grow a vanda in a tree in my backyard! What is your favorite orchid? Mine is vanda pakchong blue

Thank you! I looked to the gardening forum to make a thread about orchids and was pleasantly surprised to see this thread right at the top of the list. I wrote another thread though because I was there was so much to say and lots of pics, so I didn't want to hijack your thread.

I haven't even heard of some of the varieties mentioned here, so I'm very excited to be here and learn about your collection as well.
hijack away! I'll go look for your thread!

stella1979
What is your favorite orchid? Mine is vanda pakchong blue

Hrmmm, it's way too hard to pick a favorite. I tend like a bigger throat then we get on vandas. I'm really loving on this Dendrobium lately and hope to add it to the collection soon.

Screenshot_2018-07-07-08-43-40-1.png

I also really love Brassias, what I knew as the Spider Orchid back when I had my old collection. It had pale green blooms with dark plum colored markings... Two of my favorite colors. No idea what it was called but I want another one!

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3
Replies
Views
stella1979
Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
cinderelly9000
Replies