Orangehead tapajos

lockymck1976
Hi,
My orangehead tapajos have laid eggs numerous times now but seem to swallow the eggs. They have been in tank for 18months and have grown from 5-8cm to now being 15-20cm
I have 4 pair in the tank and they are all paired up.
Only other fish is a gold spot pleco that has only been in there for 4 months.
The tapajos behaviour and egg laying hasnt changed since adding the pleco.
My questions are,
What could be the reason for them swallowing the eggs?
Should I not feed the tank once I see the eggs laid? ( thinking they may swallow eggs while feeding)
I would really like these guys to breed.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

Coradee
Bumping this up for you

lockymck1976
hufflepuffplaty26
I think it would be better to feed the tank while the eggs are in there, other wise the parents might be hungry and decide the eggs look like a tasty snack. I'm not an expert at cichlid breeding, so just a small piece of advice

lockymck1976
I think it would be better to feed the tank while the eggs are in there, other wise the parents might be hungry and decide the eggs look like a tasty snack. I'm not an expert at cichlid breeding, so just a small piece of advice
Thanks

chromedome52
Four pairs would require a great deal of space. How big a tank are they in? If they are too crowded together the non breeders can stress out the ones with a spawn and cause them to eat the eggs.

You might try isolating a known pair in a tank by themselves, so they have a bit of privacy.

lockymck1976
Four pairs would require a great deal of space. How big a tank are they in? If they are too crowded together the non breeders can stress out the ones with a spawn and cause them to eat the eggs.

You might try isolating a known pair in a tank by themselves, so they have a bit of privacy.
Thanks for reply. They are in a 6x2x2. I thought of setting up another tank to put a pair in. Prob the best solution. This way I can keep fry in there and return adults to main tank, if they are succesful

chromedome52
Yeah, I don't think 6 ft. is enough distance with that many in there. Your best bet would be to isolate a pair and see if they are more relaxed that way.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Question
Replies
Views
Phormist
Replies
Views
Sfflores89
Replies