Orange Substance On Glass?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Azza94, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Azza94

Azza94New MemberMember

hi there, I don't know if this is in the right place but I can't find any answers to my problem anywhere..

I keep having an orange/brown substance growing in abundance on my tank glass. I got so sick of it that I even emptied my tank, washed all the gravel, filter media and started the cycle again. I washed everything and scrubbed the tank with an algae sponge multiple times.. Rinsing the tank also multiple times

But it came back days after cleaning the entire tank and I can't find a thing on it.. Can you please help me identify the problem and possibly help me find a solution? It keeps coming back no matter how much I clean it off.

I've attached the pictures.. Thanks guys. This is plaguing me so hard right now.

Attached Files:

2. A new username

A new usernameNew MemberMember

That looks like brown algae it should go away on its own. but if it is bothering you a lot I would suggest nerite snails

3. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

could also just scrape it off with a credit card or a razor blade =)

4. MTSRandy

MTSRandyValued MemberMember

I'm in agreement. Brown algae. Credit card works great. Nothing was wrong with your cycle.

5. aniroc

anirocWell Known MemberMember

Save the credit card for green spot algae. Those brown algae (diatoms) can be easily wiped with paper towel.

6. OP
    OP
    Azza94

Azza94New MemberMember

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. It's just that no matter what I do it keeps growing back, I have another aquarium and this doesn't have that problem.. It there any way to eradicate it once and for all? Thanks again

7. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Diatoms (brown algae) are often cause by excess silicates, common to new tanks. Unsightly as it is just keep removing it and it will eventually run its course

8. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

What's the time frame on running sit course days, weeks, a year?

9. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Lol, wish I could give you an answer, but it's almost like cycling...you never know :( varies tank to tank. Wipe off as much as you can then do a large water change after wiping to remove free floating debris. For plants you can also remove them and dip in hydrogen peroxide (spraying the peroxide under water doesn't help much w diatoms, but for some reason the dip does). I've also added some extra filter floss into my jobs to absorb anything as well while I was wiping.

10. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I'd give it a month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice