Orange Platy Breeding Age?

aquaria62

Reaction score
:
I'm a newbie to Fishlore.com and wondered if anyone could answer the followings questions for me.  Platys, at what age do Platys breed?  How long/ how many times can the female give birthing on a single mating? Distinction of male and female?  Is it true that the female is rounder around the center and longer and darker in color than the male?  A reply to any of my questions would be appreciated.  I have nursery each 1 1/2 gal plastic tanks securely attached within my 50 gal acrylic all of which have small wisteria plants, a small amount of gravel, proper water flow through nursery tanks and each a small piece of bog wood.

There have been 3 separate birthing from a single bright orange healthy platy I I've had only days prior to 1st birthing.
1st set of fry are 3months old [2 total] {1 to 1 1/4" length}
2nd set of fry are  2 months old [15-17 total] {1/2" to 1" length}
3rd set are 1 month old [17-20] each around 1/4" in length
The 3 month old fish {only 2} I am pretty sure are male fry,  roughly 1/2 of the 2 month old fry appear to be female and I can't distinguish the 1 month old fry as of yet.  I have a good reliable fish store I've been going to for some time now in which the owner and few employees each have over 10 years experience in aquatic pet care.

{They are all eating 3 times a day a varied healthy formula.  I have excellent filtration in a well established {7.0 to 7.5 PH - 0 nitrite and near 0 to 5 in nitrate and 0 ammonia I check it twice a month} balanced with several plants {wisterias/swords/ferns} environment with secured hiding places {small caves suctioned to wall of aquarium} The tank inhabits one 10 year old Plec {spike} @ 15" in length, 1 black molly {mack is her name} }3 1/2" to 4" in length appears to be female and 1 bright orange platy {charlie} at 2 1/2" in length.

What age and or size can I adopt the fry out?

Any or all answers will be very much appreciated...  Thank you.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most livebearers can give birth every 28-30 days. They can breed asearly as 1 month. They can be adopted out at that age.
Check the sticky at the top of the breeding forum "sexing livebearers" to learn which is female and which is male. Hope that helps.
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
what exactly is adopting out?? taking out of tank to put inanother?? ??? LILA

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
adopting out = Giving away
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh-- :-\ i just couldn't do that to my little ones-- they are too precious!! lila

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom