Orange In Filter

Atreyu

Reaction score
I am trying to cycle my tank. Every day is a new horrific detail come to life at this point.

My tap water is at 1ppm ammonia, and my tank is the same.
Nitrites/Nitrates are both 0.
36 gallon bow front tank with an appropriate filter (Aqueon quiet flow 3o led)
Light is on for only half the day.
No live plants
Temperature is 76-77 f

This morning I happened to look in the filter and saw that orange stuff in there. I am guessing it is an algae or some sort. It should be noted that I did boil the driftwood that was put in the tank, but this wasn't done until the water ran clear so there is some tannins colouring in the water (very slight). I am suspecting that orange colouring which is only being found in the filter area is a bad sign of some sort. Algae?

Remember the old days when you were a kid and you had a bowl and you put a goldfish in it and the thing lived to be a hundred? I wouldn't want to put a fish through that again, but the zero human stress of that would be amazing!

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Atreyu said:
I am trying to cycle my tank. Every day is a new horrific detail come to life at this point.

No live plants
Temperature is 76-77 f

This morning I happened to look in the filter and saw that orange stuff in there. I am guessing it is an algae or some sort. It should be noted that I did boil the driftwood that was put in the tank, but this wasn't done until the water ran clear so there is some tannins colouring in the water (very slight). I am suspecting that orange colouring which is only being found in the filter area is a bad sign of some sort. Algae?

Remember the old days when you were a kid and you had a bowl and you put a goldfish in it and the thing lived to be a hundred? I wouldn't want to put a fish through that again, but the zero human stress of that would be amazing!
It's possible it is tannins. Even after boiling most driftwood will continue to leech some tannins for some time. I believe that they will leech tannins all the time, but eventually it is in such trace amounts that it is virtually undetectable.

Depending on the type of wood used, you may get tannins for a while. Things like cholla and manzanita don't leech as many tannins as, say, mopani or oak.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Atreyu said:

No live plants
Temperature is 76-77 f

You see them as horrific. I see them as natural while cycling a tank. We are trying to grow the bacteria that will keep our fish alive and healthy for a very long time.

There will be constant changes as this is happening. We could possibly see some weird things growing. We won't see the bacteria without a high powered microscope but we may see new life in the form of tiny squiggly worms or tiny dots that move across the glass. All of these things are normal in a healthy tank. They come and go as the tank goes through its changes.

Just because one sees a changes it doesn't mean it is a bad thing. We just need to stay calm and accept the changes. Once the tank has fully gone through the cycle (all that means is it has grown the proper bacteria) the changes should slow down and eventually stop.

You cycle (bacteria) lives mostly on the filter media but some of it is also growing on every hard surface in your tank. The filter media is going to look gross but that is alright. That just means it has grown the bacteria needed to consume the ammonia your water pets are putting in the water.

I agree with @Fahn I think the orange you are seeing is accumulated tannins so nothing to worry about.

Atreyu

Reaction score
The process and natural bacteria growing isn't the horrific part. That part is natural and fine.

The horrific part is the high ammonia, high ph, hard water we have in the city. Watching three fish die because I was told it was safe to have them in when I'm the sort that saves flies and spiders that get in the house. The cotton cloud fungus that grew overnight on plants, the fact that I can't find pure ammonia in my city or the surrounding ones, the misinformation from a person in a tropical fish store nearby, the conflicting information all over the internet in forums, blogs and so on, watching 20 minute videos all day that don't even answer the question you had in the first place.

That is the part that makes it daunting and the last thing anyone wants is to do something that screws up the weeks of work you already put in and puts you back to square one.

That being said, this is the learning process, so what can you do.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

Yes, fishkeeping has a very steep learning curve. You need to know 95% of everything when you first start out, then you can spend the rest of your (fish keeping) life learning the last 5%. It also doesn't help that the fish stores give out such bad information in most cases (of course there are exceptions).

But luckily you've discovered FishLore and you have access to a ton of knowledge here. I know I've learned pretty much everything I know about successfully keeping fish here.

Best of luck!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Atreyu said:
The process and natural bacteria growing isn't the horrific part. That part is natural and fine.

The horrific part is the high ammonia, high ph, hard water we have in the city. Watching three fish die because I was told it was safe to have them in when I'm the sort that saves flies and spiders that get in the house. The cotton cloud fungus that grew overnight on plants, the fact that I can't find pure ammonia in my city or the surrounding ones, the misinformation from a person in a tropical fish store nearby, the conflicting information all over the internet in forums, blogs and so on, watching 20 minute videos all day that don't even answer the question you had in the first place.

That is the part that makes it daunting and the last thing anyone wants is to do something that screws up the weeks of work you already put in and puts you back to square one.

That being said, this is the learning process, so what can you do.
It does sound like you have a lot on your plate right now. I understand better now where you are coming from and can see why you get stressed when you see one more new thing. I really didn't mean to minimize your concerns.

I was actually trying to prepare you for some things you might start seeing in your tank as it goes through the cycling process.

We are all here to help you any way we can. I do hope we have helped put your mind to rest about the orange you found this morning and now know it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom