Orange goldfish lost its colour

rubybower

I have had a large goldfish for 2.5 years, is it normal for my fish to turn white/silver and lose its orange colour? Can anyone help me and fish please! He’s called fanta but is looking more like a sprite now……
 

Attachments

  • 49DF90F5-F7C3-4F9A-A123-D41A6F8A3B8C.jpeg
    49DF90F5-F7C3-4F9A-A123-D41A6F8A3B8C.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 5

SparkyJones

pretty normal for them to shut off as they mature and age if they are genetically predisposed to do so and you'd find that out from the breeder if the parents had stable colors or not. A pet store wouldn't have a clue, a farm wouldn't know what the parents are either. just a breeder would know and being that careful on what fish they are breeding to get specific results.

Most people don't even know this happens and is normal to happen., at least until they realize it's happening and try to find out why.

All of these goldfish come from carp and were all green or brown a long time ago. aberrations or "recessive traits" appeared from farming them for food where an individual would be different, orange, red, black, copper, ect. and selective breeding and line breeding gets us to the " "ornamental goldfish" same thing with long or short fins triple tails, and all that jazz, selective breeding for specific traits.

Black is probably the most unstable color, red would be next, orange ect. If the parents were stable through their life the offspring will be stable , but if the parents color shifts as they age, so will the offspring just genetically predisposed to the colors shutting off and the fish eventually going to white.

Some pond kept fish can get deep red, and wind up at a pet store, and a person takes it home sticks it in a tank with lower light quality, and the red shifts to orange from less light, the pond environment and natural sunlight was making the color "pop" and stat vibrant and bright, and it doesn't really work in an aquarium, however the orange red or black fading to white is the colors simply shutting off as the fish matures and ages and it's in the genetic code from the parents to do that. From the look of him he'll probably be only white in another year.

there't nothing wrong at all with the fish, and there's nothing you could do to fix it or bring back the color.

it's an ornamental goldfish, and it's quality, but it's just not show winning quality, which is what you'd expect to show up at pet stores the 99%.
The top grade ones, highest quality, that keep colors as they age, they wind up as breeder stock and kept by them for their own competition entries, or they sell them for much much more money to someone else that just has to have it....
Like in the case of Koi that keep their vibrant color and patterns as they age and it doesn't fade or change. The same goes for all goldfish types, some are just superior and "top quality", that 1%, when compared to the other 99%, that can command much higher prices, and breeders don't part with them easily except for the right price ad they don't show up at pet stores, or from the farms.


Still a very pretty fish, and going to look really nice as solid metallic white one day also.
 

jtjgg

I have one that has turned mostly white. he's the one on the right side of my avatar pic.
 

Attachments

  • 02152022.jpg
    02152022.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 4

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
10
Views
72
sydneybevan
  • Question
15 Gallon Tank Goldfish is brown?
Replies
3
Views
296
Nitro0707
  • Question
65 Gallon Tank Black Oranda Goldfish
Replies
1
Views
261
jtjgg
Replies
10
Views
516
Myyyman
Replies
3
Views
47
ElectricLee

Random Great Thread!

New Goldfish Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom