Orange freckles on skin???

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I was just observing Colin at close range and noticed what look like freckles all along his head and back. He's always had a bit of a "tan" in that area but the bright orange spots are new! Does this mean that more of his natural colour is coming in? Does the orange colour (on a koi for example) start out as freckles?
    bizaliz3, I need you!

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Gosh I don't know :-( can you get a pic for me? I am hoping he's just coloring up more!

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I tried:p
    IMG_20160613_190249171.jpg IMG_20160613_190245599.jpg IMG_20160613_190239886.jpg

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I wish I could give you an answer. But I just don't know. I am hoping it's just him continuing to blossom!!!!

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I hope so too! I know that his fins are still growing so it would be really cool if his colours continue to develop, too:)

6. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

The red "freckles" are a common characteristic of wild Scalare Angels. It is uncommon, but not unknown, for them to appear on aquarium bred fish. The closer to wild generations, the more likely they might show them.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, that's really interesting! Thanks chromedome:)

Do you know if the freckles have a purpose? Are they a display to other fish?