Orange Algae

billy d

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey, I recently had my tank finally finish its cycle over a week and a half ago. I’m starting to get an orange colour algae growing on my decorations and sides of the tank. What type of Algae is this? Is it bad? And how do I get rid of it? Pictures below..doesn’t seem orange in pics but it definitely has that colour. Thanks

Attachments

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Probably just diatoms, which is algae that usually appears in new tanks. I had it in all of my tanks and it usually goes away on its own after a few weeks. Don't bother cleaning it off, it'll probably grow right back. Just make sure to keep up with your water changes.

billy d

Valued Member
Reaction score
penguin02 said:
Probably just diatoms, which is algae that usually appears in new tanks. I had it in all of my tanks and it usually goes away on its own after a few weeks. Don't bother cleaning it off, it'll probably grow right back. Just make sure to keep up with your water changes.
Okay thanks! One more question...I have yet to change my filter but the indicator is on now. Do I just swish new filter pad in WC water? Or do I need to keep this disgusting pad?

Pic

Attachments

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Only change it if the cartridge is falling apart. And even then, you'd shove a new cartridge into the filter with the old one still in there, and remove the old one after a month once the new one has been seeded with beneficial bacteria. But you probably won't need to do that for a long time

billy d

Valued Member
Reaction score
penguin02 said:
Only change it if the cartridge is falling apart. And even then, you'd shove a new cartridge into the filter with the old one still in there, and remove the old one after a month once the new one has been seeded with beneficial bacteria. But you probably won't need to do that for a long time
Wonder why the boxes would say to replace every 4-6 weeks

Zoomo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
billy d said:
Wonder why the boxes would say to replace every 4-6 weeks
To get people to spend more by buying more cartridges, I suppose.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom