Orange algae outbreak

1. Oliver5672

Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

My tanks in the middle of cycling, its taking forever , and I've been leaving the light on for an extra hour to help my plants along. I've begun reducing the hours of lighting but this orange algae has broken out across my rock! I want to get rid of the algae but it also worries me because all other algae I know of are green and brown. Anyone had an experience with this or any tips on how to get rid of it?

2. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Most likely brown alga. Leave it alone

3. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Ok

4. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Picture?

5. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

If it comes off easy it is likely diatoms but if it takes some work to get off then it's probably algae. Let us get some pics if you can!

If it's diatoms you don't need to worry about them at all.

6. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467383785.847782.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467383798.708836.jpg
    Im reluctant to try and clean it as the rock is carefully balanced and it won't be easy getting it back where it is.
    Also, I have live plants in my tank. Im trying to reduce the lighting hours to kill the algae but I dont want to harm my plants. Anyone had this problem before? Are there any get arounds?

7. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Now I've got green algae breaking out across the glass, there mist be something teats causing this, does anyone know what it could be?

8. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

What kind of light is it? Algae is especially fond of direct sunlight.

9. Grimund

Diatoms are from high silicates, generally from new tanks or silicate rich source water.

Algea are prone to outbreak in high oxygen, extra nutrients, high PAR, and extended photo periods.

To the OP:

Reducing and breaking up photo periods are the first route to take in dealing with algea. Cutting back on fertilizers or extra water changes to reduce nutrients, especially phosphates, is the second route. Last route is for CO2 injected tanks by increasing CO2 above 20 ppm and below 35 ppm.

That's all I got for controlling algea. I can explain anything you don't understand.

10. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

It gets some direct sunlight and a fair bit of deflected sunlight. The bulb itself is a t5.
    Is there anyway to check for silicates and phosphates?

11. Grimund

Without the test kit, I'm not sure where you could take it

I'd also cover the tank sides that get the sunlight or look into curtains if it's the front

12. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

The sides are both blocked off by wall, the tanks sort of in a cove in the wall. Ill try and get a test kit, I have one for nitrite nitrate ammonia and ph but nothing else

13. Grimund

I really don't know about the prices, but as it's a new tank, I'd hold off on silicates. It's fairly common for diatoms to appear in new setups.

As for phosphates, it may occur in your source water. I'd try to block the amount of sun it's getting first before going further into it, in my opinion

14. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Ok. Ill try and block out as much sunlight as possible and look into a phosphate remover

15. Grimund

I wouldn't waste the money just yet. Start with the light first.

16. Grimund

Any update on your algea issue?

17. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

I'm actually on holiday so I haven't done anything yet. I plan to by a brittle nose or two and hopefully they'll clear it off for me. If not I'll look into some of the other options.

18. Grimund

I wouldn't get fish to solve the issue, I would stop the issue at the source first

19. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

I think it might just be diatom algae which is common new tanks anyway so I'll leave it for now