Oranda got hurt during cleaning. Will cap grow back? Help 

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GAH!!!! I have cleaned tanks 100 times and this has never happened. I was using a gravel vacuum to clean my tank and looked away for a second and the next thing I know he swimmed right into the vacuum and got stuck and by the time I got him out the cap had come almost completely off. He is swimming fine and ate well and I am treating with Melafix.

I feel horrible. Will the cap come back? Is there a more extreme treatment that I should use? He is in a 55 gallon tank that now has only 4 goldfish and a few snails and there are only plants in it so nothing for him to hurt himself on.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Todd

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope someone more knowledgeable than me see this.......I have orandas also and would like to know the answer to this myself....good luck with him...

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!
and OH no I'm so sorry for your goldie poor thing....allot of us have been there and they are so fast sometimes......whether it comes back as it was, that can be anyones guess....but keeping his water prestine, adding some vita chem, and fresh garlic juice/pieces to his diet, will help allot...make sure no other fish pick on him until he heals, otherwise you may need a qt tank until such time...goodluck with him!

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, I am new to this so I just want to make sure that you meant that literally shawnie. Are you saying that I can actually cut up garlic from the grocery store and put it in the tank for him? Thank you again.

kelsangdol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well goldfish wens are mostly of fat reserves I think, so I would think if he's well fed, it will grow back slowly.
Clean water will help to keep illness away

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How is he not bleeding? Wasn't he essentially scalped, or do I just know nothing about their caps?

Do you have a QT? I think it'd be much easier to do daily or every other day PWCs in a smaller tank.

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best wishes for a full recovery!

Ken

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Melafix is an excellent medication for wounded goldies. Is the wen still partially attached or has it come completely off? Goldfish have remarkable healing capabilities, so it is possible for it to grow back - or even reattach itself if not completely gone (depending on how badly it is torn). I do not have personal experience with fancy goldies, but they cannot be all that different from the commons and comets when it comes to healing. As long as the other fish are not bothering the injured one, it should be able to stay in the tank with them. Melafix won't hurt them at all. It could be more stressful moving the injured goldie than leaving him where he is.

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Answers to the last few posts:

(1) Thank you for letting me know that they are actually called wens and not caps. I like knowing lingo like that.

(2) Kunsthure, there was a little bit of blook but not really much at all. It is not really that he is scalped because under the wen there is smooth skin not dissimilar from other goldfish. I don't know, orandas are weird. He also seems very unaffected by it and was swimming normal, even fast and playful right after, and was eating fine. So I don't know what that means.

(3) I do have a Quarantine Tank but my 3 clown loaches are in it dealing with ich so it would be a while. I have three tanks and a QT, this is my first time that the QT would be double booked.

(4) I have not seen any other fish pick at it. The three of them have been together for 2 years and seem to be cozy together and have a lot of room so he seems fine. I am thinking that I may just keep him in there with the other two to avoid the stress.

(5) Gremlin, thank you for the melafix info. Also, yes about a third of the wen is still in tact and there is a little bit of the remainder dangling so I will keep my fingers crossed. He is a bizarre looking Oranda, a calico body that is white with mostly black spots but a few deep red spots, but then the wen is a translucent orange. I show pics a petshops and the workers seem genuinely in awe at how cute he is. Overall though, I just want him to be okay so it is nice to know that he probably will be.

As usual, all of your info has been really helpful. I have told a bunch of people about this site. I am kind of obsessive about doing online research and I sincerely believe that there is not a better place to go online for good fish info. Thanks to everyone.

Todd

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. Since he is still swimming around and eating fine I wouldn't worry about trying to separate him. Just keep an eye to make sure his wen doesn't catch on anything or tear loose more.

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UPDATE: The Oranda is doing fine. Right after the accident he had about a third of his wen left and then a little more was loose in the water a bit. The loose part has sort of fused back onto the head and it doesn't look injured anymore, by that I mean it was a little bit bloody at the start and that is gone after two days.

I have been treating with Melafix and tried a little bit of garlic, which he ate, and the weather loach ate, but the others in the tank didn't like very much.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. A lot of people seem very curious about whether or not the wens grow back completely so I will try to update a bit later in the week and month.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's good to hear! I'm glad he is doing so well.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and will be looking forward to your updates.

Best wishes!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads